New Pool Build South Louisiana Feedback

Thanks for sharing. Looks good. My light niches are bonded but no rebar. Do you have a pic showing the whole pool?

This picture shows the top of the bond beam and bonding for lights and rebar Your light niche must be bonded.

This shows the skimmer and top of bond beam. Note the double band of rebar.

Vudoo: Inspection and or plans are probably not required here.

Smarino,
I'd do as JJ and vudoo has suggested. Make the call and take a lot of pictures and video. Both now and again when everything is fixed. Do not Gunite until everything is fixed. I'm in Gonzales and just did a owner build(see signature below). Pm me your number and I can definitely get you in touch with someone that can help you get it straight.

Todd

Gwegan, I misread your note. I agree that inspection and plans are not needed here as the work is substandard and will not pass inspection. And that is my concern about this PB dragging this out.
Smarino, two months in, plumbing started and still not sure where equipment pad will be? Again, talk to jjwalker. My suggestion is to take lots of pics and file a complaint with your state's board that covers contractors.

Gwegan, It would be scary to think inspection is not required in LA. Here in Phoenix, I have gas inspection on Tuesday, pre-gunite inspection for the plumbing, steel, and electric, and then final inspection.
Jjwalker, could you tell us what inspections are needed in LA?

Vudoo,
I just did a owner build and the only inspection required was the bonding inspection!!!! That's it for where I'm at in Louisiana. Where Smarino is there may be several other inspections.

I think we're helping him get on right track. 36racin will be an excellent source as he just sub'd his own pool. I've PM'd him all resources I have available thru the St Contractors Board.

One thing I did not mention in our PM'd conversations, Smarino....if you pursue completing or continuing work on your own, you need to pull his GC permit and pull your own permit under your name. If you do this, seek the advice needed from your attorney and make sure legally everything is filed properly to sever your relationship with him. Very important.

As far as inspections, I don't know what parish you're in or municipality, but each has different inspection points. The State Board does not govern inspection points, but where you pull your permit will easily communicate what inspections you need. I'd be shocked...if there wasn't an open pool inspection before gunite, in fact I can almost assure you there will be, again depending on what parish and municipality. And as stated in my PM's to you, inspections has nothing to do with quality or workmanship.

JJ,
Coincidentally I know and previously have talked to this guy. He's not far from me. He's in south BR. I didn't realize who he was until after I had replied a few times. He actually came out and looked at my pool during the build. Waiting on Sal to CALL and we can figure out what to do next. I will assist him in any way I can. We can get him back on track and get it finished!!!!!!

Todd

That's great! Whoever he is, he needs to have his license suspended IMMEDIATELY. This is exactly the purpose of the State Board of Contractors! At this point he intentionally accepting work, people's hard earned money, and has no intention of completing any projects. The State Board is USUALLY very proactive on activity like this and do not need motivation to have a hearing on his license.

Enough with that...I told him to call Paul at Coastal Gunite and he will get him on track with his steel and shell...a plumber and electrician should not be hard. I can help if he needs in this dept, or you if need be....Smarino knows how to contact me, at this point he needs to make a very difficult personal decision to whether fully sever ties with this guy...I've already PM'd my personal opinion.

Sal, I know that you have sunk some money with this PB, but I would not trust him to do any other work for you. I would try to get him to give you all the pool equipment(pumps, filter, etc) before severing ties with him. File complaint with board if nothing else to protect others. Work with racin and use subs that he did. If you contract the work out yourself, you can save a lot and you may not spend much more than you had planned with this PB. You may end up with a much better built pool.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

I'm pretty confident we are of the same opinion with regards to his contractor. I had Coastal do my Shotcrete and Plaster so I have their numbers as well. I have an electricians number and if need be I can help with the plumbing. There isn't much to that after the pool initial plumbed. Now the SPA is a different thing. I'd need some help with that since I didn't put a SPA and didn't get to see that piping and process.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looking at the spa rough plumbing in the pictures can someone tell me what the two pipes going into the loop connect to. Looks like one is for the spa jets what is the other one for? Looks like I have a return for spillover next to those? And two main drains to the left since the intent to have two pumps one for the pool one for the jets. Any one have plumping schematic with spa spillover booster pump and bubblers that they can share?

Sal,
I see 6 return jets back to the SPA. There is a water return and the smaller one is for air I believe? Looks like two main drains. They will have to be spaced apart more. 3ft apart per code. One light. But what is the other pipe for just to the left of the suction pipe and light. Could this be a return attached from the pool returns so you can spill over water alittle all the time without the spa going??

Paco can probably tell you what they are for!!!!!

Todd

Sal,
There is a water return and the smaller one is for air I believe?

Yes, the 1.5" is for air. This would run to a blower motor at your pad. BTW, it looks like your contractor knows a thing or two about pools despite the rough work that you've shown in the pics. I think he installed a hartford loop that'll sit within the spa wall. It's the upside down "U" that goes a few inches above the jet body on the back wall of the spa. If installed correctly, it'll keep water out of your air line. Wish I had that.

Looks like two main drains. They will have to be spaced apart more. 3ft apart per code. One light. But what is the other pipe for just to the left of the suction pipe and light. Could this be a return attached from the pool returns so you can spill over water a little all the time without the spa going??

My guess is the pair of 2" lines on the left are independent drain lines. If that's the case, then his drains are not compliant with that law that requires you to have each pool drain line T'd off to two separate drains. This is a "must fix" IMO. If you keep the 2 independent drain lines from the spa, you'll need a total of 4 pots with the spacing Todd mentioned. Really odd that he's got enough pool smarts to do the loop but wouldn't have the drain right???

The center pipe is probably a return ... and you already know what the 2 on the right are for.

BTW, it's very difficult to tell from the pics, but it looks like your pool light niche is the size of a spa light niche. Hard to tell.

Scot

Is the law that requires to have each drain line T off to two separate drains applies to pools and spas or just pools. For the spa I see that two separate drain lines are required for the plumbing to equipment PAD but I doubt they use 4 pots.
For those that have a Hartford loop do you have a check valve on it?

Yes, the 1.5" is for air. This would run to a blower motor at your pad. BTW, it looks like your contractor knows a thing or two about pools despite the rough work that you've shown in the pics. I think he installed a hartford loop that'll sit within the spa wall. It's the upside down "U" that goes a few inches above the jet body on the back wall of the spa. If installed correctly, it'll keep water out of your air line. Wish I had that.

My guess is the pair of 2" lines on the left are independent drain lines. If that's the case, then his drains are not compliant with that law that requires you to have each pool drain line T'd off to two separate drains. This is a "must fix" IMO. If you keep the 2 independent drain lines from the spa, you'll need a total of 4 pots with the spacing Todd mentioned. Really odd that he's got enough pool smarts to do the loop but wouldn't have the drain right???

The center pipe is probably a return ... and you already know what the 2 on the right are for.

BTW, it's very difficult to tell from the pics, but it looks like your pool light niche is the size of a spa light niche. Hard to tell.

Scot

Best pic I have of the 4 pots for my spa.

I put inline check valves where my air line plumbing leaves the spa and I have a hartford loop after that. It's probably overkill to have two things to address one problem, but I figured redundancy can't hurt. Also, once it's all installed, I don't really want to have to mess with it. My polaris blower motor recommended this install on the outside of the box. Made sense to me.

I got your PM a few weeks back on the plumbing diagrams. Just haven't had time since I'm working my butt off after hours trying to get the coping installed. Not sure that they'll help you much, but I'll put them in my build thread when I get a chance.

Scot

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.