Do I need a new motor or pump?

Jul 12, 2011
London, ON, Canada
Newbie here when it comes to pumps.
I noticed this year that my pump doesn't seem to pump quite as high flow as it used to, but it still pumped 12 on the gauge and I would backwash when it got to 15.

However, today my pump started making a lot more noise. Could a bearing be gone? It still pumps and seems to prime the line OK, but it clearly has less suction when vacuuming. Baskets are clear. Also, the motor seems a lot hotter to the touch.
Hayward 3/4 HP superpump at least 7-8 years old, maybe 15. SP-1605-Z1-M, 230 V

Is it worth it to try to change to a new variable speed motor, or replace the whole pump? How can I be sure there isn't another problem with my sand filter/other pipes?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Intelliflo-r...LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item233796d5c5&_uhb=1

Thanks, Tim

You say the pump started making noise but you are asking if it could be something else like the filter or pipes. That's going to be pretty hard to diagnose without seeing or hearing the system.
If the pressure gauge on the filter isn't higher than normal it's unlikely something clogged in the filter or the return side. Is there any air in the pumps filter basket ?? Is the pump making noise and what noise is it making ?? If it's running hotter than normal and making noise it's very likely the motors bearing are starting to fail. At that age it could be a bad bearing in the pump motor and only the motor would need to be rebuilt or replaced.
If replaced you might want to consider a two speed motor unless you see an advantage to the variable.

https://www.google.com/#q=hayward+motor+rebuild

Sorry for the ambiguous question. No air in the basket. Hard to describe, just noticeably louder than before. Pressure guage 12. Seems like lower pressure coming out of the return jets and during vacuuming, I was able to pull the hose off the skimmer - I could never do that before.

With respect to a new motor/pump, it seems like a pump/motor is not much more than just a motor, so probably I should get a pump/motor.

With respect to variable speed vs. 2-speed, I thought that the variable speed were still more efficient than the 2 speed, and electricity is expensive here in Ontario and going up. Worried about reliablility though.

Thanks for the input, Tim

Variable can save you more and the more expensive the electricity is the more it would make sense and also recover it's higher price. I like the two speed as it's simpler and less expensive and in this area electricity isn't that bad (yet) :D

Nothing wrong with going for a pump and motor and you can always keep the old pump as a spare if it fits the variable speed motor or put the pump and motor up for sale as rebuildable, disclose the motor noise to buyer and try to recover some $$$.

The variable seems complicated to me because it has the box of electronics strapped to it but one of the basic truths about electronics is they usually fail quickly if they are going to fail and it would be under warranty. If the price of getting a variable makes sense in relation to electric cost and your use I don't see a down side, go for it.

And . . . I'm not even in the same country so I get nervous trying to diagnose a noise (I'm on a car forum too) but if you have noise and heat you likely have a bearing going out and it's best to catch it before it locks up. Would you be replacing it or would you have it done ??
Any friends that have pools that could come over and listen to it ??
Can you take the motor off the pump to check to make sure the impeller doesn't have something caught in it or a piece of an impeller broken off causing a loss of flow, imbalance and maybe noise ??
If you pull the motor off the pump on a motor and pump you intend to keep (like the variable) replace the pump mounting screws with stainless. It's cheap insurance. Destroyed a Hayward super pump trying to get a motor off it as the standard bolts had rusted solid to the threaded inserts in the pump housing. Now I do stainless pump to motor and motor to impeller plate.
What pump and motor do you have now ??

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.