Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool steps, riser too high?

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool steps, riser too high?

Hi all, very new here, we just got our pool set up, deck was finished today and I was so excited to get in the pool, I'd had some concerns about the pool steps as they seemed quite high (11" riser, which I've now read is the norm) as I had a stroke many years ago and well I have balance issues and have had issues with steps ever since, I do ok with a good sturdy handrail but I'm sure as you know the handrails on these steps are pretty flimsy.

Well I got in the pool, part way down the steps and realized I was going to have a problem getting out, thank goodness nobody but my hubby around to witness this exit from the pool lol

My question is, any suggestions on steps with a lower riser or a good way to modify what I have?

Help, I wanna swim! Thanks
    Chris

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool steps, riser too high?

Any pics?
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I realized when I tried to use the plastic ladder we got that: 1 - I am scared of heights and 2 - those risers are not great for short folks! We moved quickly to The Royal Entrance steps and all is well. Depends on your pool if that type of step would be of more benefit to you - two handles to hold onto as well.
    18 ft.52" Round Atrium AG -7600 gallons, Sand Filter, Vinyl liner, Royal Entrance Steps, 80 lbs.solarsalt

4. Back To Top    #4

Waterbug, thanks for your reply, I have looked at Royal Entrance steps over & over & over trying to figure out if there is any difference, so is there? Is each step just as high and are the handrails any sturdier .

Was going to post pic of what I have now but doesn't seem to work for me

5. Back To Top    #5

I feel for you (literally, I have bad knees and I am fat, so those risers are a tad too much for comfort though I am highly motivated to get in the pool so I just grunt and do it)

I am thinking maybe a possible modification could be done with either the wedding cake style or the widest variety of the stair-style of steps. perhaps one could somehow fasten wooden blocks or perhaps concrete pavers on one side of each step so that you kind of waddle side to side up the step - say right foot up on lowest step, left foot up on step, then same foot (left) up on block on lowest step, then right foot up on block then up on next step, left foot up on second step then to the block on that etc etc...
    somewhere around 6,800 gal 18 x 4 foot round Intex Ultra Frame AG, finished filling August 29, 2013. toy pump w/ "A" cartridge up and running next day --- July 2015 upgraded to Krystal Clear 3000 GPH pump and 16" sand filter --- May 2016 Intex auto cleaner and in July salt system and Hayward skimmer