Time to replace the solar cover, any recommendations ??

Kiss4aFrog

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
May 22, 2013
Cape Coral, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
My solar cover is finally to the point that so much of the bubble wrap is popped it's having a hard time floating.

I need the heat (Wisconsin) so I'm going with clear as it seems it has the best solar gain letting the sun in.

In the past have bought a big rectangular cover and cut it down to fit the Lazy "L" shape but wondering if anyone makes that shape of cover or if there is an easier way ??

Any recommendations on specific supplier or thickness ?? Is there any options as to the material, I don't see anything specific in the web sites I've been surfing.

If you had a bad experience would appreciate knowing who to stay away from too.

Get something inexpensive and using lighter weight plastic. It is often easier to cover a lazy L with two pieces of cover, rather than trying to get the whole pool with a single piece. That makes putting on/removing the cover simpler, as well as giving you more options of what size to buy (or even get two separate covers).

Get something inexpensive and using lighter weight plastic. It is often easier to cover a lazy L with two pieces of cover, rather than trying to get the whole pool with a single piece. That makes putting on/removing the cover simpler, as well as giving you more options of what size to buy (or even get two separate covers).

I bought one dirt cheap off of ebay .... 16 x 32 for $51

Yup Joel I know the feeling. Is yours a rectangle 20 X 40 ??
I need something like a 24' X 42' about $250 if I'm going to cut it down to size. Hate that lazy L shape but it came with the house so it's what I have. Have been playing with the idea of just getting two covers as suggested but haven't drawn it out yet to see if it would be worth the savings for the additional work.

Thank you all for the suggestions and suppliers so far :swim:

If anyone else has anything, feel free to insert your two cents here.

I had a blue cover as the previous owner likely thought it added more heat but everything I'm reading seems to indicate the clear covers let in more sun and actually add more heat. You being in MN you likely need the heat too :D
I know it really helped to keep heat in at night as the nights I swam and didn't put the cover back it was noticeably cooler next day if it was a windy evening. I should start keeping a temperature log.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was looking to buy a solar cover for my pool as well. I checked out Ping's recommendation and as I was looking for a coupon code I ran into this site.
http://www.resellerratings.com/store/SolarCovers There is a lot of bad reviews about that site. I don't know how I feel about this. I think I will look elsewhere for one.

yes, stay away from these guys! I am having a similar experience with them that the bad reviewers have shared. btw, the cover I ordered from solarcovers.com was tied to a company called LeisureLiving but calling either of these companies' customer service is a nightmare the likes of which many a nice Discover Card commercial could be written. B A D.

Amazon has a number or covers at good prices, quick delivery, and reviews. I am just trying one now. We have an autocover, that is more hardship than help. is it better to get a roller to roll it up or two smaller ones that you can remove and place in box?

I ended up going with "Save on Pool Supplied" which says in small print at the bottom of their page "fulfillment services provided by IN THE SWIM. I purchased a 16 mil Clear, 24 x 44 ft Rectangle with 8 Year Warranty. The cover is fine but the attachment kit should be avoided like the plague. I carefully scrubbed with mild detergent and a dish scrubbing pad and rinsed the aluminum cover reel before attaching the self adhesive Velcro strips. Two fell off in the first week and now there is only one remaining. Kit is going back as it was almost $30 which was expensive compared to other suppliers kits but figured I'd get it at the same place as the cover. Big mistake it's part number is S6500 and it's cheap plastic that looks like something that should be on Ebay for 4.99 No problems with the company as they offered to take the attachment kit back even though I'm slightly over their 30 day warranty period.

It's working great at letting heat in and keeping it there.

I abandoned those darn solar cover straps long ago, I always had issues with them. They would tangle, then act like moldy wicks, rip the cover sometimes, pull the reel into the pool in a wind storm tangled in the cover, all that.

If you do have to use straps, and don't need to detach the reel very often, try attaching the straps with cable ties. Pull an inch or two of strap with the velcro end through the cable ties around the reel, and zip it tight: The half-velcro portion will stop it from pulling through, like lashing a rope with a knot to a pole. Also, it's cheap and easy to remove and replace if needed.

The ability to go totally "strapless" depends on your pool shape and how/where you have the reel, if it turns easily, etc. What I do is pull the cover up, and start the wind manually from the middle of the cover edge, turning the reel from where I am grabbing the cover. Imagine winding up a long wide roll of wrapping paper that has come off the roll. You might have to move back and forth across the length of the reel a few times at the beginning to get it started and straight, but friction alone works for me to wind-up with the handle once it's got a few turns.

YMMV, but once I got a method figured out, I found this to be pretty fast. My reel is an aluminum extrusion with indentations for the telescopic sections, so maybe that helps this method work for me.

I hope this information is useful for those who can implement it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.