Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How soon after pouring bleach can you re-test?

1. Back To Top    #1

How soon after pouring bleach can you re-test?

Just starting with the TFPC method for the first time, had to drain 50% and re-fill to get my CYA down. My chemistry was the following after the refill:

FC: 0.6
    CC: 0.4
    PH 7.5
    TA: 70
    CH: 220
    CYA: 35

According to the calculator (8.25% bleach), I needed to add 1 gallon to push the FC up to 5ppm. I put a gallon in, ate dinner, etc. About an hour later I re-tested, FC was the same thing.

Am I not waiting long enough, or how long does it take before I will see results in my test?
    ~21,000 gal, IG Vinyl w/Liner, Hayward Pro-Grid DE2420 DE filter, Built: ~2002, manual vacuum, K-2006 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How soon after pouring bleach can you re-test?

As soon as you add Chlorine, you can test within 15-20 minutes. If you did not hit your target FC, you need more chlorine!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

There are a few possibilities:
    1. You could have something in your pool that consumed it or
    2. The bleach was old or
    3. Your testing was off (bad reagents maybe)

I'm banking on #1

Also, it's ok to keep everything under one thread. It makes it a little easier to follow your situation. You are using a K-2006 test kit, right? Was there a particular reason you are using a 25 ml sample instead of the 10 ml for the chlorine?
    15'x30' IG - Roman-style - 14K - Pebble Fina Classico
    Filter: Jandy CL460 Pump: Jandy Stealth SHPF1.5 SWG: Jandy AquaPure 1400 Cleaner: Jandy RayVac Test Kit: TF-100 w/SpeedStir

Chlorine/CYA Chart----Extended Test Kit Directions----SLAM

4. Back To Top    #4

I am not sure 15 minutes is long enough. I would circulate at least 30 minutes before testing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by UN1017 View Post
    There are a few possibilities:
    1. You could have something in your pool that consumed it or
    2. The bleach was old or
    3. Your testing was off (bad reagents maybe)

I'm banking on #1

Also, it's ok to keep everything under one thread. It makes it a little easier to follow your situation. You are using a K-2006 test kit, right? Was there a particular reason you are using a 25 ml sample instead of the 10 ml for the chlorine?
    Yup, K-2006. The 10ml does multiples of 0.5ppm, while the 25ml does multiples of 0.2ppm. I knew my FC at first was going to below 1.0ppm, so testing in multiples of 0.2ppm made more sense I would think?
    ~21,000 gal, IG Vinyl w/Liner, Hayward Pro-Grid DE2420 DE filter, Built: ~2002, manual vacuum, K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The 10 mL sample is more than adequate. Uses less reagent which will make your kit last a bit longer. Its all about saving money so you can afford pool toys.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.