Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump/filter for new pool...a little help please?!

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump/filter for new pool...a little help please?!

We plan to purchase a new above ground pool in the future. (Just have to make do with the Intex for now.) But I have read and re-read and etc., etc...Hydraulics 101 til I believe I will go cross-eyed. My question is this...if we are looking at getting a 24x54 pool, estimated to hold around 18,350 gallons, then will a 1 HP, 2 or variable speed pump be fine? Also, we would like to go cartridge or DE. With a SWG, maybe Aquatrol. What size filter should I be looking for? And would some of the combo pump/filters made by Pentair or Hayward work for the pool size we are looking at? And do I have to look at above ground filters only? Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am having a hard time figuring what I need.
    Intex Ultra-Frame 26x52 AGP (14,650 gal.)
    Intex Pump & Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump/filter for new pool...a little help please?!

Get a 1HP 2 speed pump and buy the biggest filter you can afford. The bigger the better.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I have found a 72 square ft DE filter but I can't afford $1000 for the filter alone! Most sites only give me an effective filtration area (in square feet) and a flow rate (gpm). So I am wondering if say, for example, says an EFA of 15 square ft, and flow rate of 60 gpm is big enough. Or do I need to find way bigger than that?
    Intex Ultra-Frame 26x52 AGP (14,650 gal.)
    Intex Pump & Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

A 60 sqft DE filter is more than big enough for your pool ... same as my setup. You could certainly get by with smaller as well since you season is shorter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!