Cloudy pool after rain

Jun 19, 2014
First year with my IG 20x40 vinyl pool. Thing is driving me nuts. Had the pool pretty clear, rained 1-2" of rain now pool is cloudy. Help!!

FC 3.5
pH 7.0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

We need a full set of test results. You can do that by ordering one of the recommended test kits found here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison. We recommend the TF100 as you will get more reagents for the money. :goodjob:

Also, you should read up in Pool School. So many educational links provided like:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
What is Trouble Free Pool Care?

And many more. It will take the anxiety and frustration away. By reading, learning and implementing the TFPC, you will take control of your pool and enjoy crystal clear water!

Are you ready? If so, order the test kit! It's your number one tool in your pool tool box!

Unless you've had significant wash off from overhanging trees, or ground runoff into the pool, there is only one reason for it being cloudy after a rain. Inadequate free Chlorine up to that point.

I have have been using Taylor test kits for years, I'm the CO for a local school distric. Let me tell you, outdoor pools are a totally different animal! I'm on day 3 of the SLAM, I had been using trichlor tabs from In the Swim, they haven't effected my CYA but I can't keep the pool crystal clear.

During the slam I've been keeping the FC at 18 (cya of 40-50) with 10% bleach product. Only thing is I've had the solar cover on the whole time and I've just learned that isn't the most effective practice.

Mind you my pool wasn't green or even extremely cloudy, I could see the main drains but it obviously wasn't crystal clear.

I'm open and eager for any hints or suggestions

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum. :wave: We're here to help. We need for you to get a full set of results of the water to make relevant recommendations. :testresults: If you have a picture or two of the pool waters present condition that would help too.

Please put the city and state in which you live in your profile. Your climate is important to the advice you receive.

Signature
Please put the following information in your signature.

The size of your pool in gallons
If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
The type of filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge) and, if you know, the brand and model of the filter.
If you know, please tell us the brand and model of the pump, and mention if is it a two speed or variable speed pump.
Date of pool build/install, particularly important if less then a year old.
Other significant accessories or options, such as a spa , SWG, or cleaner

I'm using Taylor test kit for the CYA (make the black dot disappear), question on that though, is it when you can absolutely not see the dot anymore??

I'm at work but I will get up to date pics soon, but here is a quick shot of the pool (built it myself btw)
epujy5a9.jpg
9e6a2atu.jpg

20x40 IG Vinyl, Hayward Sand filter, Built fall of 2013, Single Speed Pentair Pump, Southwest Part of MI

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW, that really looks nice.

I just started dong my own testing and I'm still a little hesitant with the CYA test. Here is the video and it shows it disappears fully. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxaqoW-_MCs
Nice thing is you can put the solution back in the mixing bottle and give it another shake and then test again and again until you feel comfortable with your reading.

Mine always looks icky after rain. Even if all my test results are spot on (and I always bump up chlorine when I know rain is coming). I have trees over the pool and I think that makes a difference. But I do think the bigger difference might be that I am in Texas and we just have a lot of dust/dirt/pollen in the air. It is usually really dry here and the air just seems to have more "stuff" hanging in it. I think we just get so much "gunk" washed out of the air that ends up in the pool. I run the filter for a day and everything is fine. I notice that you have fields around your pool - I can't help but wonder if that isn't part of the reason.

Reactions: Fredylaws
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.