Adding salt to non SWG metal framed pool?

golfinglenn

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 4, 2013
Springfield, OR
I am curious about adding salt to my pool to soften the water a little bit. My concern is with the metal structure. It is an above ground metal framed/sided vinyl lined Doughboy. I know salt water is corrosive to metal but I am wondering if the low percentage that I want to add to the pool is enough to worry about?

And what PPM should I shoot for?

Glenn

Many people without SWG shoot for about 2000ppm, you should test first though as you are not likely zero and could already be between 500-1000ppm.

The added salt will certainly cause corrosion faster than none, but I am not sure how much faster or if it is really a concern.

I am curious about adding salt to my pool to soften the water a little bit. My concern is with the metal structure. It is an above ground metal framed/sided vinyl lined Doughboy. I know salt water is corrosive to metal but I am wondering if the low percentage that I want to add to the pool is enough to worry about?

And what PPM should I shoot for?

Glenn
I'm in the same boat as you. I have an in ground vinyl with metal frame and sand bottom from the 70s. I wish to add salt but afraid of corrosion issues.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

Okay, so I bring my water up to 2000ppm in my non SWG pool. Do I need to make any other adjustments to cya, ph, alk? I see where on SWG pools they want highter cya and such, but just curious if that doesn't pertain to a lower ppm salt pool that is non SWG.

Thanks,

Glenn

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.