Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Adding salt to non SWG metal framed pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Adding salt to non SWG metal framed pool?

I am curious about adding salt to my pool to soften the water a little bit. My concern is with the metal structure. It is an above ground metal framed/sided vinyl lined Doughboy. I know salt water is corrosive to metal but I am wondering if the low percentage that I want to add to the pool is enough to worry about?

And what PPM should I shoot for?

Glenn
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Adding salt to non SWG metal framed pool?

You might consider borates for a pretty similar effect. The borates will help stabilize pH and tend to keep bugs away somewhat (mixed reviews) too.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Many people without SWG shoot for about 2000ppm, you should test first though as you are not likely zero and could already be between 500-1000ppm.

The added salt will certainly cause corrosion faster than none, but I am not sure how much faster or if it is really a concern.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by golfinglenn View Post
    I am curious about adding salt to my pool to soften the water a little bit. My concern is with the metal structure. It is an above ground metal framed/sided vinyl lined Doughboy. I know salt water is corrosive to metal but I am wondering if the low percentage that I want to add to the pool is enough to worry about?

And what PPM should I shoot for?

Glenn
    I'm in the same boat as you. I have an in ground vinyl with metal frame and sand bottom from the 70s. I wish to add salt but afraid of corrosion issues.

20,000 Gallons Vinyl 16x32 Inground with Stamped concrete decking. Hayward Sand Filter. DIY Diaphragm pump injection system. K-2006C Test Kit.
    450 Gallons Standalone Acrylic CALSPA 2006.
    Canadians, Get your test kit here!.

5. Back To Top    #5

Okay, so I bring my water up to 2000ppm in my non SWG pool. Do I need to make any other adjustments to cya, ph, alk? I see where on SWG pools they want highter cya and such, but just curious if that doesn't pertain to a lower ppm salt pool that is non SWG.

Thanks,

Glenn
    6500 gal above ground Doughboy with 200lb sand filter and solar panel heater. Converted from Baqua to BBB and never looking back!!

6. Back To Top    #6

Nothing else should be changed for you. The differences are due to the SWG itself, not the presence of salt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Did some reading up on Borates and think I am going to go that route..........