Tested my tap water while waiting on pool install.

Jun 12, 2014
Shepherdsville Ky
Got my test kit in yesterday and had time to test the tap water here. Which is what the pool will be filled with. And if I did it right here are the results.

CL 1
PH 8.2
CH 140
TA 120
CYA didn't test this but I assume it will be at 0

Now according to the calculator I will need the following
10% liquid chlorine 69oz.
37 oz. of muratic acid to bring the ph to 7.5
173oz. of stalbilizer
600lbs of salt

Does this sound right? I just moreless want to make sure I am using the pool math right.

The first thing once the pool is full and the pump is running will be to lower the PH down to between 7.2 and 7.5. Then start adding CYA, aim for a starting level of about 50. Salt can be any time. After sunset, add 2 ppm of chlorine. And then starting the next day, aim for an FC level based on CYA of 50. Give the CYA a week to dissolve, test the CYA level again, and continue adjusting from there.

Welcome to TFP. Your fill numbers look good. Your pool math numbers also look good. Just don't use them without testing once your full. Your pH may not be that high. The faucet aerator could have added to that. Hopefully you have been reading pool school. Aeration is the natural way to raise pH. You will need to manually add chlorine to the pool until your salt is up and SWG working.

Awesome thanks for double checking that. And yes I have been reading a lot and I didn't give any thought to the aerator changing those numbers on ph. the only other thing I would someone to check is the volume the pool will hold. The pool store says 27' 52" holds 18,500 but will the water really be 52" or is that the total wall height? Just want to make sure because a couple thousand gallons seems like it would change the math pretty significantly. Thanks again.

Likely the water will be closer to 48" I think. Also depends on how much the center is dished out if at all.

Just track your dosing and results and you will see trends if you are always high or low that would point to the volume being off. I initially thought mine was 20k ... but now always use 18k for the calculations which seems to be very close.

That is something you will need to play with. I have the same size. Pool math shows 17500. I use 18000 because that's what I came up with for the right changes when I adjust some things.

Sent from my VS870 4G using Tapatalk

Ok I have a couple of questions for the pool experts.
#1 My chlorine generator says a cya level of 10 to 50ppm should I follow this guideline or tfp's 60 to 80ppm
#2 if trichlor tabs lower ph and raise cya can I just use them to chlorinate with until I turn on the swg? The reason I ask is I had a bucket of them come with my pool. And it seems silly to waste them. But again if muriatic and liquid chlorine would be better that is what I will do.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As Dave said, easier to add the FC and CYA separately.

You could raise the CYA up to 50ppm or so and start the FC with bleach and get the SWG running and them float a few tablets to slowly raise the CYA up to 70ppm. I often float a few tablets when I need to raise the CYA 5-10ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.