Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Newbie here - Some ?'s ... jmullen

1. Back To Top    #1

In the Industry

Re: Newbie here - Some ?'s ... jmullen

Split by moderator from HERE as it contradicts our teachings and was not value added to the thread. Please read and learn about what we teach before continuing to provide false information. Thanks, jblizzle

I know bleach is suppose to be the same thing as Chlorine, none the less. If P.H is not within a range of 7.2- 7.6 chlorine and most other chems are not going to work properly, and you won't get a correct test result until the pool's chlorine level has dropped within range. DO you have a vinyl or gunite pool?
    P.H should be 7.2-7.6 your P.H is very low so it's very acidic. Add Alkalinity brush, and then Shock the **** out of the pool, let it run a full 24 hours until checking any chems. you won''t get accurate readings. Wait till the pool is cleared up. Give it a few days and keep it running, baskets empty, and check the filter pressure if its high you'll need to (depending on your filtration) backwash, clean the grids, and then let the pool run until its clear after that, check your chems and balance them to this;
    Alk for gunite is 80 ppm to 120 ppm (vinyl can go up to 150)
    Calcium is 200 ppm to 400 ppm (parts per million)
    Pool chlorine can be from 2-5 ppm.
    CYA should be 30 to 60 ppm, ( old school thought is 60 - 80 ppm) what ever, I think it inhibits the chlorines effectiveness when CYA is too high!
    Spa's are a whole different animal.

2. Back To Top    #2

Welcome to TFP!

Almost every single thing you said contradicts our recommendations. There are so many things wrong here I hardly know where to start. Actually, start with our Reommended Levels article. And after that check out How To SLAM Your Pool.

Chlorine is less effective when the PH is wildly out of range. But I have no idea where you got the 7.2-7.6 idea. Chlorine is going to work just fine in a far wider range than that. Certainly chlorine is still effective with PH from 6.8 up to 8.6. Of course there are other reasons to keep the PH in a much narrower range than that, but chlorine effectiveness isn't one of them. Our PH recommendation is 7.5 to 7.8.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

+1 what Jason Lion said. This is a serious forum and inaccurate and silly suggestions do not go unchallenged.

Our Pool School is a wealth of information on how to manage pool water and should provide you some insight into what we teach. It's a great place to start learning.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jmullen View Post
    Split by moderator from HERE as it contradicts our teachings and was not value added to the thread. Please read and learn about what we teach before continuing to provide false information. Thanks, jblizzle

I know bleach is suppose to be the same thing as Chlorine, none the less. If P.H is not within a range of 7.2- 7.6 chlorine and most other chems are not going to work properly, and you won't get a correct test result until the pool's chlorine level has dropped within range. DO you have a vinyl or gunite pool?
    P.H should be 7.2-7.6 your P.H is very low so it's very acidic. Add Alkalinity brush, and then Shock the **** out of the pool, let it run a full 24 hours until checking any chems. you won''t get accurate readings. Wait till the pool is cleared up. Give it a few days and keep it running, baskets empty, and check the filter pressure if its high you'll need to (depending on your filtration) backwash, clean the grids, and then let the pool run until its clear after that, check your chems and balance them to this;
    CYA should be 30 to 60 ppm, ( old school thought is 60 - 80 ppm) what ever, I think it inhibits the chlorines effectiveness when CYA is too high!
    Spa's are a whole different animal.
    pH has almost no effect on the effectiveness of chlorine in a pool with CYA. The change in HOCl percentage is in tenths of a percent over the range of pool pH. So small that it has no discernible effect.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jmullen View Post
    If P.H is not within a range of 7.2- 7.6 chlorine and most other chems are not going to work properly, and you won't get a correct test result until the pool's chlorine level has dropped within range.
    :
    See the graphs in this post to see that CYA buffers hypochlorous acid against changes in pH so whereas with no CYA going from 7.5 to 8.0 in pH would drop the active chlorine level in half, with CYA in the water the drop is only by 15%.

The TA level should be based on the type of disinfectant being used. For hypochlorite sources of chlorine the TA should not be too high and it has nothing to do with gunite vs. vinyl. A higher TA has more carbon dioxide outgassing that causes the pH to rise. See this chart for how over-carbonated a pool is at various pH and TA levels.

As for CH, vinyl pools don't need calcium.

As for the FC level, that depends on the CYA level since the FC/CYA ratio determines the active chlorine level that kills algae, disinfects, oxidizes, etc. See this post for a technical derivation of that relationship.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

The part that scares me is he has "In The Industry" under his name, what industry ??
    '70s IG Vinyl 32K gal, Lazy L, Hayward SuperPump 1.5hp 120V, S240 Sand Filter W/DE
    Solar Blanket, Well Water, Borax Added, TF-100 tester. ? too cold
    1979, 275gal Conway Emerald Spa P-100-2, ES-2 Spa Pack, bromine floater, indoor
    TF-100, Best test kit - TFTestkits.net
    Please help keep the lights on, become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

I don't know why that scares you Kiss, this is pretty much what I expect to hear from someone who works for a pool store. Dumping a bunch of chlorine in at once, calcium is super important to vinyl liners, need an FC of 1-3 regardless of CYA, all stuff I expect. The banning CYA one was a new one for me though. Loved the use of an unrelated lobby effort to back up the claim!

All we can do is let the people go to them, get discouraged, look for help, find this site and change their pools forever.

JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Donldson View Post
    I don't know why that scares you Kiss, this is pretty much what I expect to hear from someone who works for a pool store. .............

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.
    Worked for 4 pool stores over 5-7 years. many sources of possible miss-information
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017