Fresh refill by tanker, starting numbers

stslimited84

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 3, 2011
North East
Hey all,

Had a plaster pop patched and during the process the pool was drained then refilled. I took the initial test, fired up the pump and added d.e. to it. Numbers are as follows:

FC: 0
TA: 60 ppm
Ch: 80 ppm
PH: 7.4

I didnt have any chemical to test for CYA. Is it safe to assume the water has 0 cya in it? I dosed the pool to bring the fc up to shock level for 0 CYA and am going to started adding it via the recommended shock levels.

I do have an algae bloom but am prepared to combat it with POP :)

Suggestions on what to do next as far as numbers or anything else?

Fresh water will have 0ppm of CYA. Start getting that dissolved and start the SLAM process ... after you check and adjust the pH to the lower 7s.

Looks like you also need to raise the CH to around 250ppm at least.

Fresh water will have 0ppm of CYA. Start getting that dissolved and start the SLAM process ... after you check and adjust the pH to the lower 7s.

Looks like you also need to raise the CH to around 250ppm at least.

I forgot to put the PH in the original post as 7.4 (edited to show). I have calcium chloride. Should i just add now broadcasting over the deep end?

Add the CH now. I was going to say you could slam the pool with CalHypo, but since you have the CC already, go for it.

Well according to the pool calculator I need to add 42 lbs of cal chloride to reach the desired level. I only had about 12 lbs left so I still need to add more in some form. Should I consider picking up some calhypo and perhaps some dichlor to address both the calcium and cya needs in a more expeditious manner?

Also, is there some way to retrieve old subscriptions? My threads from years past I used for references purposes are no longer visible in the subscription area of the user control panel.

and a solid emote for the support always provided here! :rockon:

You can use cal-hypo and dichlor ... assuming you understand everything they are doing to your pool and account for the multiple effects.

I do not think you can get the subscriptions you had on the old software that we switched from in January.
You could PM JasonLion and/or Leebo to inquire though.

You can use cal-hypo and dichlor ... assuming you understand everything they are doing to your pool and account for the multiple effects.

I do not think you can get the subscriptions you had on the old software that we switched from in January.
You could PM JasonLion and/or Leebo to inquire though.

Well I trust your guidance. Would you use one, the other, or both in my current situation or stay the course and just pick up some additional cal chloride?

My experience with pool chemicals and chemistry is different than yours. So what I might do may not be good for you.
It is certainly less confusing to just adjust everything separately.

You need to get the CH and the CYA up quickly. Trying to raise your CH with cal-hypo will result in high FC levels which is not good ... especially when you have no CYA. Trying to raise the CYA with Dichlor will also result in high FC levels unless you add it slowly in increments over many days. There is no way to use a chlorine product to quickly get CH and CYA both up at the same time.

My experience with pool chemicals and chemistry is different than yours. So what I might do may not be good for you.
It is certainly less confusing to just adjust everything separately.

You need to get the CH and the CYA up quickly. Trying to raise your CH with cal-hypo will result in high FC levels which is not good ... especially when you have no CYA. Trying to raise the CYA with Dichlor will also result in high FC levels unless you add it slowly in increments over many days. There is no way to use a chlorine product to quickly get CH and CYA both up at the same time.

Understood. I'll just keep adding the CYA via sock method and I also have some trichlor pucks around that can assist in the process. One of my old threads had the amounts of chemical a single puck would contribute to my pool but that thread is gone. I'll pick up a bag of cal chloride and add that today.

The FC levels did well over night and only .5 cc present in the pool. Another day or so of slaming and it should be all set. The PH went over 8.0 overnight tho. Trying to figure that one out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finished the slam last night. No FC loss overnight and no cc. yes!

A quick question about the cya test. You should not see the black dot at all right? Does it matter how long the solution is in the test tube before you take your reading?...as in if you put the solution in the tube and wait 30 secs after pouring does that make the solution get cloudy quicker and change your result?

Sorry if that is confusing. Im having trouble figuring out what my reading is. I might have gone a bit heavy on the cya but I cant tell as the reading looks to be between 50-70.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.