Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to the site and trying to follow your lead. Question on pool side scale or pits?

1. Back To Top    #1

New to the site and trying to follow your lead. Question on pool side scale or pits?

I have lived with this pool for a year. No real issues other than I have some buildup on some of the tiles and rocks. My chlorine was really high all winter. I know why now, high CYA. Anyways I bought a new test kit and had the following results.

FC-9
    CC- .5
    TA- 180
    CH-600
    CYA- 100
    Borates- 50

I went ahead and drained about 40% of my pool and have refilled. I haven't been able to recheck readings yet but when my pool was down I noticed in areas the painted plaster was "white". When I looked closer it either is some type of white buildup or the plaster is pitting and the color is changing. I have attached some photos. The first is "normal" or 3/4 of the pool and the others are the rest.

6-19-2014 2-17-09 PM.jpg
    6-19-2014 2-16-44 PM.jpg
    6-19-2014 2-16-24 PM.jpg
    16,200 gal
    IG, Painted Plaster
    Sand filter rated at 125 gpm
    Built Nov-2012
    Spa that overflows into pool and a side stream water fall through rocks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to the site and trying to follow your lead. Question on pool side scale or p

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well, is it a build-up of white on the grey paint or is the paint flaking off exposing white plaster underneath?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: New to the site and trying to follow your lead. Question on pool side scale or p

It actually looks like both. In the grout I can see a buildup, but on the wall it didn't look the same. This is a picture underwater around the bottom. I don't know if chemicals did this or not and I can't remember if it was like this when I moved in last year.

6-19-2014 2-32-33 PM.jpg
    16,200 gal
    IG, Painted Plaster
    Built Nov-2012

4. Back To Top    #4

With a CH of 600ppm, and if the pH was allowed to stay too high (you did not post this), I would suspect calcium scaling.

Does the lighter stuff on the bottom feel rough?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

The pH was 7.5, but last year it had stayed in the high 7 and low 8's. I didn't realize that the overflow and waterfall was making the pH raise and I had hardly any TA at time too. Since reading the info on here a few months ago I have been able to maintain pH and trying to maintain the cl and cya ratio. The bottom doesn't feel rough and in the spa it is the same around the seating area.
    16,200 gal
    IG, Painted Plaster
    Built Nov-2012