Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Are these safe swim numbers?

1. Back To Top    #1

Are these safe swim numbers?

Hi All

I'm part way through my first SLAM after recently discovering this site. My wife just told me she is having some kids over for a swim tonight and I'm wondering if I need to tell her to cancel.

Here are my numbers:

FC - 12
    CC - 0.9
    PH - 7.8
    CYA - 5
    TA - 120

I've read here that you are safe to swim "up to shock level", but the CYA/Chlorine chart doesn't show FC values for such a low stabilizer level.

Thanks

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Are these safe swim numbers?

FC below 10 should be fine. That's shock level for zero CYA. With no CYA, you'll be down well below that after a day in the sun.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Your numbers look very "pool-storeish" so they are suspect as to their accuracy. In fact the chart doesn't go that low because you cannot really measure that low of CYA.

As Richard said, it will drop below 10 today if the pool gets any sun. Your CYA is probably somewhere between 0-20 so under 10 is plenty safe. Could cause the mild itching and crunchy hair if the CYA is truly zero, but no worse than a public pool.

Just to be sure though, you can see the entire bottom of the pool, correct? That is the really important safety consideration!
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for quick replies.

Those numbers are from the pool store. My TF-100 just arrived and I'll be doing my first "real" test when I get home today. Water is very, very clear now - thanks to the help found here.