Chlorine Levels

dm912

LifeTime Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
Camarillo, CA
I've had good results the last few months using the TFP method (and draining 1/2 my pool to get a cya of 45) and running a FC level around 5-7ppm. With the warmer weather and pool temps. of 85-89 degrees I had hazy water and some algae start about a week ago. I bumped the FC level to shock level 19-20ppm and it is clearing up. With water this warm is FC 5-7ppm adequate? Should I maintain a higher level? Today's #'s
FC 17
CC .5
PH 7.5 (can this be accurate with such a high FC?)
TA 110
CYA 45
Passed OCLT - no loss overnight
Filtering 10hrs. a day
Hopefully there's nothing funky in my solar panels on the roof giving me problems. I am wondering if I should remove my light and see what lurks in there.
Thanks in advance

Are you testing your FC before you add more chlorine and making sure it hasn't dropped below 4? Targeting 5-7 with your minimum being 4 seems low if your only testing and adding once a day. Your loss to the sun could be putting you below your minimum.

Warm water, with bright hot sun, and an uncovered pool will cause an increase in chlorine loss compared to cooler water and weather.

Running on the high side of the target FC is fine. It is actually better when it gets so hot and will help prevent falling below the minimum.

If it has been a while (or never) that you have removed the light niche and did a thorough scrubbing of ladders and such, I would encourage you to do so as most pool owners don't pay enough attention to these areas to begin with. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.