Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine Levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine Levels

I've had good results the last few months using the TFP method (and draining 1/2 my pool to get a cya of 45) and running a FC level around 5-7ppm. With the warmer weather and pool temps. of 85-89 degrees I had hazy water and some algae start about a week ago. I bumped the FC level to shock level 19-20ppm and it is clearing up. With water this warm is FC 5-7ppm adequate? Should I maintain a higher level? Today's #'s
    FC 17
    CC .5
    PH 7.5 (can this be accurate with such a high FC?)
    TA 110
    CYA 45
    Passed OCLT - no loss overnight
    Filtering 10hrs. a day
    Hopefully there's nothing funky in my solar panels on the roof giving me problems. I am wondering if I should remove my light and see what lurks in there.
    Thanks in advance
    In-ground plaster 14000 gal., Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter 300sq. ft., Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, 8 panel solar heating system, Sun Touch controller, TF-100 test kit, Ecojet Plus robotic pool cleaner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine Levels

Are you testing your FC before you add more chlorine and making sure it hasn't dropped below 4? Targeting 5-7 with your minimum being 4 seems low if your only testing and adding once a day. Your loss to the sun could be putting you below your minimum.

Warm water, with bright hot sun, and an uncovered pool will cause an increase in chlorine loss compared to cooler water and weather.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump

3. Back To Top    #3

Running on the high side of the target FC is fine. It is actually better when it gets so hot and will help prevent falling below the minimum.

If it has been a while (or never) that you have removed the light niche and did a thorough scrubbing of ladders and such, I would encourage you to do so as most pool owners don't pay enough attention to these areas to begin with.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Yep, testing in the morning before add chlorine. Lowest reading in the last couple of weeks has been 5. I think I will remove the light. Would running a FC of about 10 be a good move?
    In-ground plaster 14000 gal., Sta-Rite System 3 cartridge filter 300sq. ft., Pentair Intelliflow VS pump, 8 panel solar heating system, Sun Touch controller, TF-100 test kit, Ecojet Plus robotic pool cleaner.

5. Back To Top    #5

It's not a bad move. I personally try to dose, so that by my next addition of chlorine I am at least at my target range, not my minimum range.
    12500 gallons, 24 foot round above ground
    Hayward Sand filter, Pentair OptiFlo 1HP 2-Speed pump