Need 2 SWG's

Oct 28, 2013
Laguna Niguel, CA
I have one Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator with a Hayward T-Cell 15. My pool is 52,000 gallons and now that summer has arrived, I don't believe the unit can generate enough chlorine based upon testing. I only see one port on the genertor to T-Cell cable. Am I correct in assuming that I will not only need another T-Cell but another generator as well? Or is there a way to use one generator? Thanks.

For a very large pool you either need a single much larger SWG, or two smaller ones. The other option is to manually add chlorine during the hottest couple of weeks of the year.

AquaRite doesn't make a SWG large enough for your pool, but some of the other brands do. Adding another AquaRite requires getting an entire new unit: control box and cell.

Two Questions:

Is there a single SWG that anyone would recommend for my needs?
If I add another SWG identical to my existing setup, should I add another 40,000 unit and extend life of both T-Cells by setting them to generate lower? or get two 25's? etc........

I know that another Aqua Rite & T-Cell is approximately $800-1,000 depending on sales.

Your cheapest option will be to add another Aquarite and like I said in the other thread ... get another 40k T-15 cell. Then they will not have to work as hard and you will have a little bit of extra capacity.

Some other companies make 60k+ units, but even that would be pushing it.

I installed the second SWG (Aqua Rite with T-15) and I'm running into difficulties with them. When running on a low speed of my 1 HP Pentair Whisperflo one or both SWG's will have a flashing "Check Salt and Inspect Cell" which eventually becomes a solid light. When running on the high speed, this issue does not occur. Additionally, the T-15 cell's build up with deposits very fast (1 month).

I have read the instruction manual and it indicates that the "salt level is too low / efficiency is reduced". If the salt level is too low, why do the SWG's work perfectly on high pump speed? Is the low pump speed too slow for SWG's and causing these problems? And is the reduced effeciency is causing the SWG to work harder and build up deposits faster?

if they are plumbed in parrallel, that is half water from pump goes through each cell
then there will not be enough flow for cell to operate correctly on low speed
if they are plumbed in series, that is water from pump goes through one cell out and then into next cell your flow rate should be about the same
with some frictional lossses

as jbizzle said
the build up is probably a chemistry issue
will require a set of test results and what kit you used to get results

Yes, they are plumbed side by side due to space and previous setup. I was already considering upgrading to a Pentair IntelliFlo variable speed pump. Then I could adjust to speed necessary for proper operation of both SWG's. Sometimes the SWG's work on the low speed, but most of the time they are displaying the above referenced issues. So I think I'm really close to necessary pump speed on the low setting anyways....

Test Results:

Salt 2890
Ph 7.8
FC 11
CC 0
TA 100
CYA 80
CH 800

So CH is way too high, right? I'll test again tomorrow to double check

According to where I run my SWG pool. Your salt is a little low (3200). Ph is a tad high (7.4) and yes ch is a bit high. May be partial drain and refill time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.