Problem with the float valve at the skimmer?

Jun 6, 2013
Hi,

There are some problems with the pool circulation. Hope experts here could help me diagnose the problem. Thanks!

So.. The problem is: When the pump is running, I notice that there is no water flow at the skimmer that has the float valve. But when the pump just started running, I saw the water running quickly to the skimmer. The suction power seems strong as it almost empties the skimmer. So it seems that there is no clog in the skimmer. Then, is there any problem with the float valve?

Also, the float valve often cannot stay in place by itself. When it is not in place, the water in the skimmer will run empty, generate a lot of bubble in the returning outlets. The pump will stop working afterwards until the water level in the skimmer goes back to the original level. When I place the float valve in place, it sucks tightly to the bottom. Then, there is no water flow in the skimmer.

Has anyone seen this problem before and could help me with it? Thank you!

You are describing a stuck weir (flapper) or low water level.

That float valve is designed to slam shut when water level drops too low, so you draw from the drain and avoid running the pump dry.

Make sure the water level is halfway up the skimmer opening and the door isn't stuck somehow.

Thank you, Richard!
The flapper is on the other side of the door which keep water from entering in the skimmer.
My husband said the pump has some problems. I logged on this forum and had this post before we calls any pool maintenance company. Money saved!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.