Sand colored deposits in bottom of pool

Jun 16, 2014
I opened my pool a few weeks ago with my 10 yr old Jacuzzi DE filter & got the water looking beautiful! The next day I noticed these sand like deposits all over the bottom so I vacuumed a few more times...it came back every time! I was told this was probably the DE kickIng back from the filter. My grids we're also 10 yrs old....so I bought a new Hayward ec50 DE. After vacuuming twice I still see these sandlike deposits, although not as much as before UGH!! The pool store guy said it could be white algae...what??? My kids just want to finally to get in their pool!! Please help!!

Above ground pool, Hayward EC50 DE filter

Does this stuff vacuum up okay, or does it just go 'poof' when it gets touched by the vacuum?

I get drifts where the dust in my pool always settles out in the same spot. It does simplify vacuuming. I've messed with the returns, but I've never been able to get that drift to settle right on top the main drain so it can get whisked away.

I am having some fun with the sand looking stuff too. There is a huge bradford pear tree in the yard behind mine and although I've cut everything I can reach it still hangs over and throws pollen, leaves, flowers, pod things and other random garbage in the pool.

This year it is bright orange cheez-it colored pollen along with whitish pollen. 2 times now we've had huge rainstorms that I think washed every ounce of pollen off that tree and right into my pool. After each of those storms the dust stuff was 100% worse.

At first I was worried about algae but after the first rainstorm washed it all in there and I saw it was clearly worse on the part of the pool "under" the tree, I have resolved myself to endless vacuuming especially after a storm. It poofs away but my pool blaster max vac catches a lot of it each time so after a couple vacuums it should be fine..........until the next rain storm.

Never had so much pollen in the pool as this year even though I remember the pollen being much worse last year. (Then again, my pool was still a cloudy pre-TFP mess at this time last year so that must be why I didn't notice!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.