Will a Solar Cover Heat my Pool 10 degrees???

Jun 19, 2014
GA
Okay. I live in GA and unfortunately my pool is surrounded by trees. It does get a decent amount of sunlight throughout the day, but currently the water is a frigid 76 degrees. We really want to increase the water temperature about 10 degrees. We have a pool thermometer an the water usually chills 1 degree overnight and then heats back up during the day.

Would a clear solar cover heat my pool 10 degrees? or just keep it from dipping below 76? If a solar cover will do the trick what brands do you recommend?

Notes: the pool is a 24ft round above ground pool, were not using any means to heat the pool at this time.

Welcome!

If you don't have sun beating on the pool and a fair amount of trees, I don't see how you will successfully raise the temps 10 degrees, even with a clear solar cover.

And my pool is in the sun all day long and it's 74 right now. You will keep the most heat in your pool by covering it at night. I have not been covering my pool at all.

If it's your property, and you want more sun, you may want to consider cutting trees down on your property.

I think it would be safe to say that a solar cover would limit your overnight loses and still allow daytime gains so I don't see a problem achieving a 10 degree improvement in the hot Georgia sun. Might take a couple of weeks to get there.

:(

I have been reading for days and I always get mixed answers. Some say it only retains heat overnight.. others say it will actually work to heat the pool.

I just wish I knew the best and cheapest option to heat my pool 10 degrees. ( cutting the trees is not really an option :( )

:(

I have been reading for days and I always get mixed answers. Some say it only retains heat overnight.. others say it will actually work to heat the pool.

I just wish I knew the best and cheapest option to heat my pool 10 degrees. ( cutting the trees is not really an option :( )

They're not mixed answers, a solar cover does both.

EDIT: Technically the solar cover doesn't heat the pool, the sun heats the pool and the solar cover prevents the escape of that heat.
ZoomButt.gif

I think it would be safe to say that a solar cover would limit your overnight loses and still allow daytime gains so I don't see a problem achieving a 10 degree improvement in the hot Georgia sun. Might take a couple of weeks to get there.

BUT, coldpool has a lot of trees so I'm just curious how much hot Georgia sun they are really getting?

I have a pool and my brother has a pool. They are roughly 7 miles apart. His is under a tree and mine has the sun beating on it 12 hours a day. His is much cooler and dirtier than mine. I'm just sayin....

They're not mixed answers, a solar cover does both.

EDIT: Technically the solar cover doesn't heat the pool, the sun heats the pool and the solar cover prevents the escape of that heat.
ZoomButt.gif

Not only does it do both, it is irrelevant which it does since the net effect either way is a warmer pool. I see no reason you can't get 10 degrees from a solar cover. My pool made it to 93 before I had to start keeping the cover off to let it cool.

but you think it will increase my water 10 degrees?

No one here can GUARANTEE your going to get 10 degrees rise since we don't know the exact conditions an your location, but I can say that a clear solar cover is the biggest bang for the buck in solar heating. It's a fairly inexpensive expense and a great first step to getting your pool warm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maybe posting a pic of your pool would help, then people could see how much sun/shade is hitting it. If you don't get much sun a solar cover isn't going to work with the sun to heat your pool, yes it will help keep any heat that is in there from leaving as quickly but you aren't going generate the heat others with sun on their pool do. It's just not going to happen unless there is direct sun shining on it.

but you think it will increase my water 10 degrees?

It's called a solar cover for a reason. If removing the trees isn't an option and you don't get much sun there isn't much a cover can do for you. If you go clear it will let the most sun in and will help retain some of heat during the day and night but from my experience you're not going to get much, no where near 10 degrees unless the trees go so you have full sun.

I am not sure you can use best and cheapest in the same sentence.

You want the best/fastest guaranteed to heat the pool 10 degrees: get a gas pool heater ($1000)
You want the cheapest that might get you a 10 degree rise: get a solar cover (<$100)

The middle option would be to get a few of the cheaper solar heaters off Ebay and locate them in the sun in addition to a solar cover. (~$300)

Solar cover will not work without direct full sunlight for atleast 6-8hrs a day. Solar cover should be removed and pump shut off on low wind very sunny days to get the most heat gain. pool covered at night to prevent losses. If it is a windy but very sunny day leave the cover on. Cover will also help with debris from trees. It will be a slow climb but if you have a stretch of very sunny low wind days you should get 10deg increase in a week. Rainfall will knock it back.

My pool has sun all morning till about 3pm so it gets a lot of sun. my water today was 78* this was after a large thunderstorm last night which added about 1.5" of rain and cloudy all day today with another .5" of rain today as well. Pool water yesterday was 82* day before was 80*. Pool was covered past 2 days with uncovering after sun exposure and some swimming.

I also use a homemade solar coil. everyone says they don't heat effectively enough to notice. so we will assume that it doesn't!

With enough sunshine you can def get a 10deg temp rise with a solar cover. and keep your pool cleaner too! just might take a little while weather permitted.

Trimming branches helps. on a very sunny day look at the pool and look at the shadows the branches make. start with those if possible to add just a little more sun! every little bit helps!

I get the most heat gain on very sunny 80*+ days with little to no wind pump off cover off. went up 8* in one day! 72*-80* (was also running my 4'x4' solar coil that doesnt do anything so they say)

I'm very happy with my setup! I like my water between 78-82*

I have two little solar heaters a solar cover and I use liquid solar heat. My pool is partial under trees. What do I get? 6 degrees when all conditions are perfect. Today with no rain and few clouds I went from 80 to 82. The solar heaters get about 4 hours of some sun on a good day. 3/4 of the pool gets full sun for about 6 hours. I do not believe you will get 10 degrees with only a solar cover. One thing no one has mentioned is that the solar cover will heat the first few inches of water. The rest will be significantly colder. Run the pump or get in and it will all be cold again.

Get the cover because it will help but understand you will have to do other things to get that pool from cold to enjoyable. Another option is buy wetsuits. We did:)

mrmacdad12- I have two of the coil solar heaters and they definitely help. I just get tired of chasing the sun. I find the perfect spot and a week later I hardly get any sun in that spot. I sometimes run with only one. Right now the one right before the pump only gets half sun so I'm not sure if it's heating or cooling.

Okay. I live in GA and unfortunately my pool is surrounded by trees. It does get a decent amount of sunlight throughout the day, but currently the water is a frigid 76 degrees. We really want to increase the water temperature about 10 degrees. We have a pool thermometer an the water usually chills 1 degree overnight and then heats back up during the day.

Would a clear solar cover heat my pool 10 degrees? or just keep it from dipping below 76? If a solar cover will do the trick what brands do you recommend?

Notes: the pool is a 24ft round above ground pool, were not using any means to heat the pool at this time.

We get about 2 1/2 hours of direct sun on our 20 x 52" pool each day here in SW Arkansas. The rest of the day it is partly to mostly shaded. Once the temperature starts hitting low to mid 90's you should see a couple of degree increase each day. We have a floating thermometer and one that is submerged 2'. They are pretty consistently 1 degree different.

If you have a fountain or if your pool is aerating some other way, turn it off for a few days. Aeration lowers pool temperature.

mrmacdad12- I have two of the coil solar heaters and they definitely help. I just get tired of chasing the sun. I find the perfect spot and a week later I hardly get any sun in that spot. I sometimes run with only one. Right now the one right before the pump only gets half sun so I'm not sure if it's heating or cooling.

I had to chase the sun. I usually spend a day with the pool usually when im out in the yard doing other things. I watch the sun. and the shadows. Since we are coming into the summer solstice I will prob find myself trimming a few more branches and moving my coil to a better location, I just wish I could get some of that afternoon sun. My pool sees total sun from 9am-3pm. sharp cut off at the 3pm but they are some tall trees so. luckily my neighbors yard to the east of me is tree free along with the following neighbor to the east. after that there is prob 3-5 100' oaks that take all the sun till it breaks the trees fully at 9am. At 9am when I turn the heater on its putting out very very hot water. it drops off and I check temp for 5-10deg increase in temp and set valve accordingly. I adjust valve prob once a week. Only run heater on sunny days, cut off if clouds up. (I have someone who can turn it off) or it times out after 6hrs. I love my solar cover. it was cheap I think it was 35 dollars shipped. it helps keep whatever heat I do get in the pool and keeps most of the dirt out. I will also making a second coil since it will only cost me like 25 dollars and I have plenty of flow left on the pump. It will be plumbed parallel with the other coil.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.