New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

Smart on the knife for sure. Do you only make to order? Do you go to shows? Have you ever taken pics. as you go along to show the process?

The fireplace arch. Once you pointed it out I could see what you were talking about. I had counted the stones on both sides as they did not look balanced/even. Now I know why. Good for you for making them redo it. Sad you had to tell them to though.

Kim

Kim, most of my knives are custom orders but I do make knives to sell at shows and through my website and other online venues. I did a knifemaking follow along on facebook a few months ago. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting these links.

RangerMadeKnives.com

My Facebook Page

Ranger Made Knives on Instagram

Well I for one am glad you posted the links to your site - bookmarked! I love hand crafted things. Your knives are fantastic. I'm a member of the Louisiana Craft Guild myself. I used to travel around and do shows - I make art jewelry. Well until we moved and my stuff got boxed up. I need to get my studio finished so I can get back to it before my creative juices leak.

Time to post some progress pictures. This has been a good week (even with the storms that moved through yesterday w/ 70mph winds and created power outages - at least there wasn't a lot of rain). Generally, we get workers on Wed, Thurs, Fri. We always get told they will be here on Sat, Mon and Tuesday as well but for the last three weeks, we've noticed the pattern. Normally, there are two workers, one day we had four. Nowhere near TwoLabs massive 17 crew day - still jealous can you tell :). Rumor is the carpenter (yet another new one) should be out tomorrow to cut a hole in the roof for the chimney (I know JJWalker - you can't wait for that) and rerun electrical. Also this week, the gas guys came out right on schedule, hooked up all the gas lines and were done in an hour. (Racin - we owe you a PM). Enough chatter - time for pics.

Front of the fireplace with all arches in place. I think the right arch looks a little wonky but Bob swears its fine:
Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Different angle - this photo gives you an idea of the depth of the hearth

Front pillar being wrapped

The back of the fireplace coming along

Lounging area yesterday

Lounging area today

Frame out for the versa burner so we can host the crawfish boil during the Pool Crawl events (hopefully CC that doesn't mean we won't be able to do it until Feb - wet suits for sure) And Kim, you are definitely invited because you are bringing the Strawberry Pie.

I can see myself and my strawberry pie sitting in front of that fireplace!

I love the fireplace stone work. I see what you are seeing with the right arch. I think it is the fact there is a larger stone there instead of the smaller stones of the other three. It looks great! I hope it is matching what you were seeing in your head.

Kim

of all the things I've seen the right arch does look hinky....pretty easy fix...just take a side grinder and cut out a 45 of the larger piece, insert small pie shape...yadayadayada...i'll keep my mouth shut bob :)

moving along at the speed of.....well, i'll keep my mouth shut on that one too. :cheers:

:banghead: with the cutting the roof...arrrgh!

I love seeing you guys get progress. I'm on the fence with the arch. I can see what you are saying but the curve is spot on and I go from liking it and not noticing to noticing. Of course mostly I'm just drooling over the fireplace. Whats going in the arches? That might affect how it looks in the end.

I like the way the sitting area is shaping up. You are putting 1x1 tile on it somewhere right? I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Oh and I'm just saying Crawfish season is like March-June. Y'all have spas and heaters right? LOL. We might have to start out at yours if its early in the season as that fireplace is going to be awesome to hang out by. Someone has to bring smore's. You know for second desert later on in the night. That strawberry pie of Kim's isn't going to hold us all night.

The arch itself is spot on (Bob's point). It is the large stone without the small pie shape wedge that JJ Walker mentioned, that makes it visually look off. I've attached a photo to show both the arch and that large stone. We will probably leave it as is and it can be a point of conversation :). If eventually, it continues to drive me crazy, we can implement JJ's idea and grind out a small pie shape wedge. I did ask Bob to ask the stone masons if it would be a major issue for them to do that now. He'll check with them on Monday, um I mean Wed (when they actually show up). Well...he said he would check with them but I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that Bob might "forget" to follow up on :)

From this photo, you can see they removed all the form boards from the arches. You can also see they started capping the wing walls on the fireplace and placed the first stone down on the hearth. Also, if you look closely about 1 stone up from the arch on the main fireplace - you will see two protruding stones. This is where the wood mantle will go. Martin Kennedy's build and his wooden doors have given us a lot of ideas - and now I'm thinking somehow the mantle wood will match the doors that we will somehow incorporate into the new wall around the property which will look suspiciously like the ones that Martin Kennedy has.

Another photo of the wing wall cap. I love the notching around the pillar and on the hearth. They may be moving slow, but I do like their work.

Here is a photo of the 1x1 tile going in on the back of the lounging area. They ran short of tile because ....Bob told the project manager we wanted a 4" strip. The Project Manager ordered enough tile for a 3" strip. When the workers started, Bob made sure they were doing the 4" strip. They will order more tile.... They will add a 3" flagstone cap to the wall and the plinths. The plinths ended up being 12x12 and the cap will make them 14X14, this is slightly different than what Bob asked for - 14x14 plinths with the cap making them 16x16. We'll live with this one. I am really happy with how this is getting finished out. I have to say this is all Bob. He came up with this design since we haven't heard from the pool builder in about 2 months (luckily the project manager stays in touch now). And just to give more kudos to Bob - really the whole pool design was his back and forth with the builder. And the stone choices, the tile choices - all to look like materials naturally found. And Beaded Biker your observance of balancing the pool and trying to draw the eye out with the plinths - all mirrored Bob's thoughts. I feel pretty lucky to have a combat tested/Ranger/Sniper husband who also has this amazing creative artistic talent.

Lastly to note - the carpenter never showed up on Saturday and the 15 gallons of stain (that were critical to purchase weeks and weeks ago) still sits in our garage.:D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh its looking so good guys! Even the concrete finish all ties in to the rustic look of the stone work. (Every time I see your concrete I wish I could get that salt finish here a little bit more!) There is some lovely craftsman ship in evidence. Bob's done a great job of steering the project, he's got a good eye for detail. Now isn't there some kind of pun about a Ranger/Sniper having a good eye...

SOOOOOOOOO pretty! I am glad to see you found someone that can/will do GREAT of work!

I love the 1x1. Too funny (NOT) about ordering for 3" instead of 4". Unreal!

At least Bob has a good eye and is not too shy to use it and say something!

Kim

Very nice!

One thing I would recommend is to seal between the cedar post and stone with a flexible polyurethane caulk that matches the mortar. That way if the post swells or moves a little it won't crack or dislodge the stone cap.

Kim, most of my knives are custom orders but I do make knives to sell at shows and through my website and other online venues. I did a knifemaking follow along on facebook a few months ago. Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting these links.

RangerMadeKnives.com

My Facebook Page

Ranger Made Knives on Instagram

Wow, I can't even talk about my business on here with getting reprimanded. lol. Nice work though on the knives. You do beautiful work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.