New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

Well I just finished two rides at the horse show - so called home to report in. Bob says they are doing an amazing job on the stonework - so I can't wait to see the photos along with everyone else when he posts them tonight!

Also, i am here in Tyler - so TwoLabs and Beaded, I think we avoided the worst of the rain so hopefully you got good progress today on your pools.

CC - i don't have any other suggestions (except for stain your equipment pad, hope you have good subs, and don't let them stand on the concrete (i just noticed in some of the photos we posted of the deck being done, i see a man standing with his foot on the concrete right where one of the footprints were). Since they put the stain down when the concrete was wet, it was impossible to tell how it would look later - my best thought here is just see that they are generally throwing it down fairly evenly. I think your coping and tile is so beautiful, it wont matter because everyone will be looking at that. I am hoping the same for the stone work, "what deck???"

Thanks Everyone for the bday wishes!

Got some new progress pictures to share. The guys worked until about 7:00 last night.

I'm pretty happy with the way this is turning out. This wall is the backsplash height but will still get capped which will add two more inches. I don't think people in the kitchen will be able to see people in the spa but, can probably still hand them drinks by setting them on the backsplash.

Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

The backsplash will be at the same height and blend into the upper bar.

The upper bar will be 36" high on the "dining room" side and 42" on the kitchen side because of the step down to the kitchen.

On the left will be the 36" Twin Eagles grill. The cutout on the right is for an Alfresco Versa Power burner. The sink will be in the middle where they did the big stone. There will be a door/drawer combo unit under the grill and a double access door under the sink. Will also have a 12 gallon water heater under the sink.

The large opening in the upper bar is for a refrigerator and a wine cooler. This was my idea so I hope it works out. My thinking was that putting the refrigerators on this elevated section would alleviate some of the bending over associated with these under-counter units.

Here is the only real issue I identified from yesterdays work. This is where the Versa Power burner is supposed to go. It is too narrow. They have never installed one of these things before and I don't think they have a good grasp on how it is supposed to go. The burner sits below counter height and is designed to allow large pots for shrimp/crab boils and such. They will have to rework some of this stone to get this on track.

Well...you didn't think you could ask that question and not get a story right? :). So after Bob's last post - the stone guys worked until 7pm on Friday....and then no show on Saturday. After Bob reached the PM to see where they were, he found out one of the stoneworkers had something in his eye so they wouldn't be out on Saturday. PM said, all of them would be there on Monday including the PM. No show on Monday, or Tuesday. Bob called the PM "One of the stoneworkers headed back to Mexico". Wed - they came out and did some work but left early because they ran out of cement. Today, they made good progress and started the firebox on the fireplace and got one of the pillars wrapped. It's not as frustrating as usual because at least the work that is getting done is nice. I can take pics tomorrow - I got home too late today and it was dark. We are now at the 5 months and 1 week point.

When Bob and the PM were discussing the countertop for the outdoor kitchen - the PM said he could give us a discount if we use them for landscaping. I'm pretty sure Bob just stared at him. Of course, we had originally planned to use them for landscaping and the rest of our 3 phase project but now we're just hoping to get the pool / pavilion done. Actually, the PM owned up to all of their issues (they were way busier than they planned for, they had problems keeping subs and all their clients are mad at them) and for whatever reason, that makes me feel better.

For my friend in Austin, TX with the Weimie and the Vizla - I was able to talk Bob into letting me put the 1x1 tile on the outside of the lounging area where the PB was trying to figure out what to do. Bob, the PM and the stone mason came up with a plan for that area and I get my 1x1 tiles (assuming they get ordered in time) Maybe you can put 1x1 somewhere in the area where you think the deck is too high.

-Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Excellent Karen, I for one am glad that things are starting to come around to your liking. Maybe Bob needs to carry the pistol around more often.

When Bob and the PM were discussing the countertop for the outdoor kitchen - the PM said he could give us a discount if we use them for landscaping. I'm pretty sure Bob just stared at him.

So thats what that laughing was in the distance.... It was Bob laughing the PM out of town.. lol....

Now Karen YOU of all people know we LOVE a good story! That is all sorts of good!

When you are saying 1x1 can you show us what and where you are using it?

PB+landscaping=LAUGH! If Bob had a thought bubble coming out of his head it would NOT be allowed on here I am sure! Too many "adult" words LOL

Kim

Alright, I have some photos to share today. It's coming along.

First, this is the pillar that the concrete truck hit and knocked some of the wood off. Each of the rest of the pillars will also have this stone wrapping. The entire finish will be about 3" taller with a cap.

Next is the beginning of the fireplace (Yeah!) from the front. I'm saving the details of the build so 1) I can surprise you guys as the build continues and 2) just in case it doesn't come out exactly right, I didn't set expectations for all of you :)

From the back (this is the west side of the property) and will help keep the brutal TX sun off of the people in the pavilion.

A fuller view

This is the 1x1 tile that is in the spa and that I want to use on the back of the lounging area

This is the back of the lounging area that still has to get finished out. Bob wants to put a secondary wall behind the raised beam that is the same width but 6" taller. That wall will be capped with flagstone and then a 4" strip of the 1x1 tile right below the flagstone cap. There will be a 14" x 14" plinth on each end (on the step) that will sit 4" above the new wall.

This is the front view of the lounging area (again) but you may be able to visualize the secondary wall behind it from this angle

This is the knife that Bob made for the PM (that we'll hold hostage until our build is done...just kidding - sort of)
IMG_3890 by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

We are going to need lots of backfill.... -Karen

Bob/Karen
You will be able to do a lot entertaining out there with all that space. I hope you like company, because you will have a lot of it. Keep the faith and remember this is but a finite point of time in your lives and don’t sweat it.

What a great start to the fireplace. It looks like you found something they can do with skill!

I love those 1x1 tiles.

The vision for the wall and plinth sounds neat. Will you put something on the plinths?

I love the sitting area inside the pool. I can see a lot of chatting and visiting going on there!

That knife is nice! Has the PB seen it or does he know about it?

Kim

I like the wall and plinth idea. If I'm imagining it correctly, it will create a lovely focal point from the patio, kind of mirroring the spa. I like your 1x1 tiles too. They really complement your stone choices. Its kind of a bit of 'bling' thats still looks natural and in keeping with everything else, what a great choice.

Ooh and the fireplace is shaping up to look really really good. I love the herringbone brick back in the firebox, thats just a fantastic detail and that arch over the firebox is beautiful.

And wasn't it fortuitous they hit the post, because they look really good wrapped in stone!

That knife is a fantastic bit of craftsmanship. Truly beautiful. But I'm a bit confused. If its a gift, its a lovely idea to give the PB something. Not entirely sure I'd be giving him a gift after almost 6 months on the project and thought I guess it could be because he's spent so long on your project he almost feels like you had to take him in - like a stray hanging around right? Or if he ordered it, I'd be guessing the delivery method depends on how he finishes out the project. One way could be via UPS, the other could be a heck of a lot more painful (just kidding :D).

I'd actually like to give a gift for our PB, as they really have had to go above and beyond because of our wall fall in. But to be honest I'm spending too much time watching them like a hawk to make sure they don't mess up (Yup, I have trust issues - I really need to stop reading horror stories on TFP!) to have time to whip up something. My talents are in making jewelry - which isn't really a great gift for a guy or quilting and I sure don't have time to whip up a quilt.

Hi there, Bob here. The knife was ordered by the Project Manager. He is a knife enthusiast and was very excited when he found out I was a knifemaker. He tried to order three knives but, since I don't trust anybody from the pool company and I don't take deposits, I convinced him we should start with one and see how he likes it.

A quick note on that fireplace arch. I had them take it down and redo it. If you look carefully at the arch you will see the right side has more curve and the left side is somewhat flat. They took it down and made a new form to work from and now it looks much better. I'll take some new pictures after another day of work so it looks like more progress.

Bob

Smart on the knife for sure. Do you only make to order? Do you go to shows? Have you ever taken pics. as you go along to show the process?

The fireplace arch. Once you pointed it out I could see what you were talking about. I had counted the stones on both sides as they did not look balanced/even. Now I know why. Good for you for making them redo it. Sad you had to tell them to though.

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.