New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

Wow, two days in a row!! Work getting done. Yesterday, we got our propane tank installed for the pool heater and BBQ grills. They roughed in all the lines. I had to help the gas company with routing because the pool designer, though he was on site, couldn't be bothered with trivial details such as routing around future obstacles or setting proper depth for the line prior to pouring concrete around it. We also received a sample pack of the StoneScapes plaster colors so we could make a choice. I thought we were getting DiamondBrite but, I guess not. Right now, it looks like Midnight Blue Mini-Pebble is the frontrunner.

Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Today, the carpenters showed up and set the posts for the pavilion. We had one small issue; two of the 6x6 posts were set one foot off. Luckily I got home and noticed it before the concrete had set. They pulled them out and moved them. The issue would have shortened the countertop for the grills by a foot and made things too tight. I hated having to tell them to move them but, it wasn't my mistake and I couldn't let it stand. There are six 8x8 posts and two 6x6 to support everything. One of the 6x6 posts will have to get re-set tomorrow. Tomorrow they are planning to rim it with 4x12's and start framing the rafters.

How pretty is the stone work. What is a finger ledge?

Kim

The finger ledge was a small detail at the base of the stone stack that was supposed to stick out a little and give something to hold on to. It doesn't really matter that it got omitted because the water is only four feet deep at the stone wall anyway.

Bob

We had a similar mistake like your finger ledge. Wasn't worth fixing for all the mess and delay it would generate. But, consider asking for an "adjustment." A discount on the bill or a free upgrade for something. I would think given the choice betw having to tear out and redo or offering an adjustment, the PB would prefer the adjustment. To me, an adjustment is a win-win for everyone.

Today I am a little concerned about the project. The carpenters had a lot of lumber dropped yesterday; everything they needed to get to dry in of the pavilion. I would say we've had close to five inches of rain in the last eight hours and all that lumber is sitting in a fast moving stream about eight inches deep. The OSB is still banded but it is getting a soaking. The stacks of 2x10's actually have waterfalls coming off of them. The pool has a foot of water in the shallow end which isn't really concerning but, shows how much rain we've had.

Bob

Probably would have been a good idea to get a tarp on that OSB. :/ Wood swells, and OSB does have a wax coating... I think only on one side though? Maybe both... either way I would be concerned.

BTW, that is an awesome tanning ledge if I am seeing that correctly!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
nope, no way, no how on the OSB!

The other stuff should be okay but I would have them take the osb and bring in new. Even if they try to it will be okay. It can be okay somewhere else! "Well you can use on it YOUR place!"

Kim

Karen and I had things to do early this morning; when we got home around 9:30am there were actually workers in the back yard. This is despite the fact that we had close to 10" of rain yesterday. Their van was stuck in the mud behind our barn but they were hard at work. I really appreciate their dedication. They asked my if I would use the tractor to help pull them out at the end of the day. If they are willing to come out and work in the sloppy wet mud all day I will gladly help them out. They told me this evening that they will finish their part tomorrow. They are framers so hopefully roofing will be right behind them. I did a lot of research on the OSB getting wet and it doesn't seem like it's really a problem so I told them to go ahead and sheet it.

Just a little water in the pool. Additionally, all the pool equipment got dropped off on our back patio the other day. There are a few changes to the original equipment list. We went with the Pentair EasyTouch 8 controller w/ Screen Logic 2 system. The heater is a Pentair MasterTemp, and the cleaner is a Kreepy Krauly Legend, and the filter is a Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420.

Bob

Who on earth (or above it) did you upset to get all that rain?

Wow! Those guys are moving right along with this! I can't wait to see it done!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.