New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

...I thought I had made it clear to my PB that I wasn't going to be available next week and I wanted to see what they were doing with the stone or they would have to wait until the following week; somehow the message was lost in translation at the crew level. After some discussion with the builder (on the phone) he sent one of the guys back to the yard to bring some stone out to do a sample run. I think we got everything cleared up but I do have some trepidation about them working without me to supervise next week, especially since I had to stop them from putting the 6" tile into the spa where the 1x1" tile is supposed to go (which they forgot to bring).

the whole process will be like this. We finally had to tell our PB that nothing could be done unless we were home. drains and pop-ups were obviously not in line, cracked pavers being installed, the wrong travertine being delivered. The on-site crew was totally clueless in our build. the PB manager only comes by once a week to see what got screwed up and has to be redone, and if you wait for that, you will lose weeks as stuff is redone, especially if it is post-gunite or mortar.

the whole process will be like this. We finally had to tell our PB that nothing could be done unless we were home. drains and pop-ups were obviously not in line, cracked pavers being installed, the wrong travertine being delivered. The on-site crew was totally clueless in our build. the PB manager only comes by once a week to see what got screwed up and has to be redone, and if you wait for that, you will lose weeks as stuff is redone, especially if it is post-gunite or mortar.

I guess the good news is that it is supposed to rain all week while I'm gone.

Bob

Well even with the rains the previous days, the stoneworkers came out and worked the entire day on the 4th of July. On the negative side, the pastures got torn up as they tried to drive their stone laden truck through the muddy ground to the back yard - but on the positive side - it seems they got a lot of work done. The second spillway on the spa was created, the majority of the coping has been laid down and mortared and they started the 1x1 tile inside the spa (Yeah! they brought it and I really like it). They need to finish the tile inside the spa and the stone work on the outside of the spa, the short raised wall, the scuppers, the tanning shelf and filling in the smaller pieces on the coping. For me, it's hard to visualize the finished product at this stage since so many areas are half finished but I know I like it today more than I did the last time they left - so I am hopeful I will like it all when it is done. More pics to follow (I need to ask Bob to take them)

Casey, thank you very much. As you can tell - we are partial to stone :) Ranger Bob's wife - Karen

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Snapped these pics to show how the stone is coming together. I had no idea how much work it would take to do all the stone. It is really time intensive. Generally the guys show up at about 10:30am with a truckload of stone. They unload and then eat lunch. After they finish eating lunch, they work straight through until about 7:00pm. All the stone is hand chipped with a chisel and hammer. It's in the ninety's and there is no shade around the pool and they just keep working. I'm pretty sure I would be unconscious after a couple hours so I have to give them credit.

Bob

Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

This pool is beautiful and your house is too!!! I love all of the stone work. I can't wait to see what it will look like when it is all done.

If they workers are working that long and hard with no shade it might be beneficial to make sure they have plenty of cold water and maybe some snacks too. If you are treating them to some goodies then they will be happy to be there and will probably work even harder!! ;)

I am subscribed to this thread and can't wait to see the finished project!!! :)

The stone work is amazing! Working in the hot summer heat with no shade is no joke. I was working on our pool deck last week in the high humidity and 90 degree heat with no shade. I could have wrung my clothes out, that's how much I was sweating! :shock:

Can you slip in a pic of the horses and dogs?

Kim

KimKats
In keeping with the pool theme...this was actually one of the motivators for building a pool. The dogs love to swim.
_MG_0661 by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

We will try to get the others in some of the pool photos (has anyone seen the horse in the pool video?)

- - - Updated - - -

If they workers are working that long and hard with no shade it might be beneficial to make sure they have plenty of cold water and maybe some snacks too. If you are treating them to some goodies then they will be happy to be there and will probably work even harder!! ;)

QuiltinMom
My wife believes in your way of thinking. She makes sure they have water, cokes, cupcakes, pizza....she thinks happy workers are the best workers.

CUTE! We have a pond that my mastiff/lab mix tends to "live" in. My American Bulldog just stands there and looks at him.

Happy workers = better workers in most cases.

Watched workers = better work.

When we were having our roof redone I knew there were some issues and wanted to see what was causing it to make sure it did not happen again. They knew to call me outside and up on the house when they cleared each side/area. I was able to see that the roof was the original roof to the house and what a poor job had been done on it! It is a wonder it lasted as long as it did!

BUT saying that I did see a couple of shortcuts they tried like not cutting out as big a place as I thought they should. To me there should be NO rot/wet/yucky wood at all so...........Once I called them on a couple of things they did it without any short cuts I could see. I did hear one of them say (I was just about to come around the corner) "Nope, you better not. Ms. Kim will make you do it over." LOL I waited a couple of mins. and took them out some more ice water.

Kim

Well, we took a risk and went on a short vacation for a family reunion this past weekend while pool work was being done. The workers were supposed to finish all of the stone work, including the tanning shelf, coping, spa tiles, spa facing and short wall. There appears to be only 1 mistake but according to my husband it can't be fixed without tearing out all the stone (i.e. more delays) - they forgot to put the finger ledge on the short wall. This week, we expect a lot more work to get completed: decking, pavilion construction, propane install - so we'll see how that goes. We are getting anxious to see progress. Just saw my cousin's pool in Las Vegas which got finished 3 days ago - and I had finished pool envy. I've posted some more photos of the stone work - hopefully we can be making more frequent updates this week.

Bob' wife (Karen)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.