New Member, First Build...What have we gotten into?

That fireplace is so pretty! It looks just like the picture.

Clean up took two tries LOL. Did they REALLY think it was clean enough the first time? Come on guys!

Stain? Did you say Stain? As in the GALLONS youbought so long ago? See you needed extra so they can get it on your floor! DUH! Put down plastic to protect the floor! Are they staining the ceiling as well? I would NOT let them even look at it with a roller/brush in their hands until I say plastic taped down to protect the floor. You will always be able to see the stain no matter how they try to clean it up.

Kim

Not a lot to report. Several beautiful days gone by without workers but we had them for 3 days out of the last week. Our project manager is "out of town" on another job so we expect to see workers come back once he's back which is fine by us - he actually has a critical eye and expects as much out of the craftsmanship as we do so at least when we point things out to him, it's usually not an argument. It just takes awhile because of how busy he is.

Stone masons finished the fireplace (brick herringbone pattern, and put cap on chimney). They still need to replace some stone in the archways, chip the overhang away on the upper step, outside edge and finish the 1x1 tile over by the lounging area. But I am so happy with the fireplace.

Chimney Cap (and trim work on the columns - this trim work is actually okay)
Untitled by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Herringbone Pattern

Inspiration Photo
Photo_Video_1476114504_medium by Ranger_Bob, on Flickr

Upper Step with flagstone extended that will be chipped off (they did this to match the pattern of the other flagstone, but we think it will look better with an even edge to the step)

Carpenters did a terrible job at the finish work so we took pictures and sent to the project manager - which is why he is coming out on Friday. At this point, since we are so far past the date I had hoped to see this completed, I told Bob, I'm not compromising on anything. The carpenters boxed out the chimney, but still need to do the flashing. They finished the tongue and groove on the ceiling, started putting stain on the pillars (dropped stain on the concrete which still has to get fixed). We still need a counter installed along with all of the appliances. They cleaned up the yard, it took 2 tries.

The heated discussion this week was around the plaster. Initially we were told diamondbrite, then 4 months ago when Bob started talking to the PB about the plaster he said stonescapes. I said, really? the contract was pretty generic about an upgrade to an Hawaiian aggregate but the PB gave us Stonescapes samples to choose from. This week the Project Manager said it wasn't in the contract. So we asked the office girl (remember her?) to provide us a breakdown of what the cost was for "standard" finish, what the actual upgrade cost was to the Hawaiian aggregate and then what the additional upgrade is to the Stonescapes and then what the added cost is for the abalone shells. The PB offered to stain the DiamondBrite black (the color we are going with) but then later agreed it won't work with the dark colors and we won't be happy with it. (That was a non starting option for me anyway and although it sounds like he might be steering us to the Stonescapes I agreed with this logic). So now that I feel we have spent just about the same amount of money it probably cost to build our house 10 years ago....we're going with the Stonescapes mini pebble black with abalone shell. Thanks to all the TFP'ers who responded to my PM's about the colors and giving me tips about the abalone shells. I told Bob, I really, really want those. At this point, I can't see getting all this way and not finishing it with what I had always expected from the beginning - well or convinced myself I could get comfortable having. (I really wanted Pebble Tec but our PB doesn't work with any Pebble Tec installers so I settled for Stonescapes)

Still a ton to do - and we really can't see the plaster going down until all the other things are finished but the initial plan by the Project Manager is "next week"...6.5 months and counting. Original project timeline: 3 months. We are tracking close to Martin Kennedy's estimates (2x whatever you are told) - Karen

Karen/Bob
Diane and I were really hoping that you would be swimming and have everything done by Thanksgiving. Now I am not sure that will happen. We will keep our fingers crossed.

Ok you seriously way outdid the inspiration photo on the fireplace it knocks the other one out the park. The view out behind the fireplace is so pretty, it looks like you took that photo with early morning mist. I would be out there every morning drinking my coffee looking at that. Of course that would be the end of anything productive happening for the rest of the day, but I'd be okay with that.

I was really hoping you guys would be done by now. Hoping you'd beat me to plaster. (still at this point my PB is doing his best to give you guys time to make it). Sheesh it sucks. Especially with the stain mark. Time for Bob to strap that gun to his hip and go 'explain' in his best Ranger'y' tone to fix it. And when he's done can I borrow him to come and yell at mine too...

Quick update: "They" drained the pool, "they" trimmed back all of the pipes, "they" sealed around them, "they" cleaned out the skimmers and then "they" left. I say "they" because we didn't know "they" were coming and which group "they" are part of. The carpenters fixed the trim work and are still painting/staining. The stain is pretty red right now. We know it will fade to the cedar color to match the rest of the house - but boy does it look red. I think I remember having the same reaction when we had our house repainted.

The carpenters lost a lot of time the second day because they had to clean up all the stain they dropped on the flagstone coping, the pillar caps and the decking. Of course, they cleaned it up with gasoline so the pavilion will probably blow up. After that, the carpenters decided they should put EVEN more drop cloths down.

Haven't seen or heard any plans about the electrician....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So how much stain have they used?

LOL

Kim

So very funny...They are getting ready to open the 2nd 5 gallon container and they are 3/4 through the staining process. Rain today though and no work.

There are some days I forget that I have patio furniture waiting at the outdoor furniture store. We ordered that back in July - it all came in before Sep 1st - and they have been storing it for us until we are ready. Hopefully, the furniture store won't think it's abandoned :) -Karen

So very funny...They are getting ready to open the 2nd 5 gallon container and they are 3/4 through the staining process. Rain today though and no work.

There are some days I forget that I have patio furniture waiting at the outdoor furniture store. We ordered that back in July - it all came in before Sep 1st - and they have been storing it for us until we are ready. Hopefully, the furniture store won't think it's abandoned :) -Karen

That's funny. We've told all of our family for Christmas we just want Sunnyland gift certificates! (one of DFWs biggest outdoor furniture stores for the non-TX peeps)

Hi Karen, would you please share with me what you learn about plastering with other Top members over the PM? I chose the ministonescape tropics blue and it has shells in there already. So should I pay more to get more shells added?
It is absolutely nothing going on here today. They suppose to come to put down leuder pavers..... But no showed.... Frustrating.

Hi Karen, would you please share with me what you learn about plastering with other Top members over the PM? I chose the ministonescape tropics blue and it has shells in there already. So should I pay more to get more shells added? .

Almost every single person just recommended adding the abalone shells for the sparkle. The correspondence mostly came from those who chose either midnight blue or black - simply because I sought them out from their builds. Some had the luxury of having completed two pools - one with and one without and those people highly recommended the shells. Some only had one pool, chose to have them added and loved it. On the flip side, those who didn't get them added were equally pleased so it wasn't like they felt they were missing something. So in the end it came down to personal choice for everybody and since I like bling/sparkle - I decided to have them added. I did not base my decision on anything related to utility such as additional wearability etc. i did consider if the shells were improperly installed they may have sharp edges and therefore we have spoken to the Project Manager of the importance of this to us and our desire for him to be on site during the installation. - Karen

- - - Updated - - -

Also, i still have the samples from stonescapes and to my eye, the tropics blue does already have a nice glimmer and you can see shells (funny, no seashell pun intended) - whereas the black does not have the same sparkle or shell content. However, i am looking at a sample or regular pebble (tropics blue) compared to a mini pebble (black)

Hi Karen, thank you for your inputs. What do you think of plastering now or wait till spring? I never thought that we will have to face this question at all..... But, it is Nov, and I really do not want to get in the water and brush the pool when the water is crazy cold.....

Eva - No date for the plaster yet. 2 weeks ago it was "next week", Last week it was "next week", this week I am not holding my breath because of the rain expected - which of course means they will have to drain and clean the pool again. Although, I do suspect the PB is needing another large payment - seems we get a lot of activity when they want a check. -Karen

Martin - I would love to post some photos except not much has changed - just the wood is 3/4 stained now versus before. It still looks really red. The punch list is still REALLY long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.