Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Intex pump sucked air, is it toast?

1. Back To Top    #1

Intex pump sucked air, is it toast?

I've got a Intex 2500 GPH pump. The pump didn't fit the pool so I draped the hoses over the side. My kid pulled the hose out and it sucked air for about 5-10 seconds before I could shut it off.

Did I toast the pump?

Thanks for any help.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Intex pump sucked air, is it toast?

Highly unlikely. I've had several instances with the same pump where I've done something improperly and the pump has gotten air or I've forgotten to open plunger valves etc and my pump is still performing just fine.

Whoops I read too fast, thought you had the 2650. Same answer though, I made the same mistakes with my original Intex cartridge pump and it still functioned (if you consider what their cartridge pumps do functioning) when I switched to the 2650 sand filter.
    Last edited by jcp; 06-19-2014 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Misread post

3. Back To Top    #3

I can't get it to work again. Re-primed many times and it just surges but it doesn't suck water.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you are just filling a catch basket at the pump, reprime from the hose in the pool, fill the entire suction hose up with garden hose or whatever. The pump may not be able to pull enough water over the top of the pool before it cavitates.
    Pool: IG 22k- 16x32 clipped corners- vinyl liner, w/ a great board. Built in 3/99, new to me 2/2011.
    Equip: Hayward 3600 DE filter, Hayward CL-200 Chlorinator (empty since 7/5/2013).
    K-2006 Test kit with Speedstir
    Located in Cincinnati, OH. TFP lurker since 9/2011, BBB interested since 5/2012 and converted 7/2013.

5. Back To Top    #5

This is what you have in your pump. There is a relatively huge amount of space between the impeller and the housing, and will not prime on it's own. You have to fill the intake hose completely for the pump to work.

15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

6. Back To Top    #6

I've tried priming it over and over...basket, motor, and hose included. Just like I did when I got it going for the first time. It was no problem at all priming before it sucked the air. Now, I can't get it to work at all.

I decided to just get a replacement through Amazon...free of charge, I hope!

Thanks for everyone's input!