Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If I have to use tablets...

1. Back To Top    #1

If I have to use tablets...

For short periods of time, is it best to use Cal-Hypo tablets??? Usually just when traveling a few days every few weeks. Besides hardness (I have vinyl) what are other negative effects?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If I have to use tablets...

With Vinyl ... probably so.

When in doubt do a test, see where you are and adjust fire accordingly. If you are a little low on CYA use trichlor. Cal Hypo adds CH TriChlor adds CYA. The only other negative effect is a little ribbing here if you don't premise it with a set of test results and a plan.

... good job understanding your pool and what the different chemicals do.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

That is the negative effect. If CH gets too high, you risk scaling, and just about the only way to remove CH is drain and refill.

Since you will only be gone a few days at a time, can someone at the house dump X amount of bleach in while you are gone?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Just be sure to use one or the other, not both at the same time.

Video and Article of what happens when they are in solid form mixed together and a small amount of water is added.

Store them well away from each other as well.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Do not expect Cal Hypo tablets to perform as tri-chlor tablets do. They require a special feeder and will quickly turn to mush if not applied by using this (expensive) feeder.

You are better off to use tri-chlor assuming your CYA is low enough you can correctly manage it.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

[QUOTE=duraleigh;676112]Do not expect Cal Hypo tablets to perform as tri-chlor tablets do. They require a special feeder and will quickly turn to mush if not applied by using this (expensive) feeder./QUOTE]

Did not know that - thanks! Replaced liner last weekend and filled fresh so no CYA yet. I will add stabilizer to get to 25-30ppm then use Tri-chlor briefly as needed.

Thanks again everyone
    16 x 32 inground vinyl pool (21000 gallons) (new liner installed 2014)
    Hayward max flo pump w/ 1 HP AO Smith motor (new motor 2014)
    Hayward C1200 cartridge filter (new 2014)
    Hayward H150 heater