To SLAM or not to SLAM, that is the question.

chuzie

May 14, 2014
Tampa
FC=5
CC=1
OCLT=2.5
pH=7.6
TA=70
CH=325
CYA=45
SALT=2000
BORATES=50
TEMP=90

The pool is crystal clear but with the current CC and OCLT, I am concerned something is lurking in the background and maybe I should take preemptive action. We have had a lot of rain the last week or so.

So, SLAM or no?
:cool:

You have 1CC. I would SLAM as you lost in the OCLT. :goodjob:

I honestly thought 24 hrs would have done it with such a low initial CC. Nope. CC=0.5 OCLT=2.5. I have 2 of 3 SLAM conditions met, but OCLT is killing me. Perhaps better results tomorrow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Maintain your FC at the very, very top for the Cya level for at least a week or two, and the CC will start to fade away. If you do that daily, you'll see an improvement. 0.5 is fine, but I like it when there is no pink on this test.

It costs me some bleach, but it keeps potential problems at a bare minimum and I like that piece of mind. Overkill, but it's where I like to be.

As long as all other numbers are in order, there's no real need to achieve CC=0, anything less than or equal to 0.5 is ok.

chem geek said:
Combined chlorine (chloramine, dichloramine, and nitrogen trichloride) primarily results from Free Chlorine (aka hypochlorous acid) oxidizing nitrogen based componds, such as urine/urea) ammonia, sweat, etc. If all you are doing is killing algae and not oxidizing the above, it's very possible you won't ever see CC show up before, during, or after the SLAM process.

So, essentially CC=0 is hard to achieve - it is not impossible, but it isn't necessary either.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.