Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Two interesting videos about Sand Filters

1. Back To Top    #1

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Two interesting videos about Sand Filters

For someone who doesn't and has never owned a sand filter, I found them to be nice videos. The only thing I would disagree on is the fact that he says you don't need to worry about the pressure gauge. Thanks for posting those vids!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I wonder if it is true that a dirty filter cleans the best. This guy has been in this business for 20 something years.

4. Back To Top    #4

I believe a dirty filter cleans a bit better. But only until it's too dirty to allow proper flow. I didn't watch the videos but I certainly agree with Casey - the pressure gauge is extremely important. 25% above clean pressure, means time to backwash.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

If I were to wait until my water came to a trickle, I'd have blown out plumbing. My VF pump keeps the flow the same regardless of restriction. The pump itself tells me when to backwash based on criteria I have pre-programmed into the system.

Also he talks about the need for a rinse setting. My valve doesn't have rinse, and works just fine. I just let the sand settle for a minute or two before going back to filter.

Is that Phos Free on his top shelf?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Robbie,

I don't want to hi-jack the thread at all but don't you get a plume of dirty water when you return to "filter" from "backwash" (since you don't have "rinse")

I'm gonna' talk to my Pentair filter engineer buddy about a couple of things in that video and I'll post some comments back up after we speak.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes duraleigh, i am interested if your Pentair filter engineer agrees with this guy or not.

8. Back To Top    #8

I don't get a plume at all. I just make sure I backwash really well, let it sit for a minute or two, then restart in filter. No problems at all.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit

9. Back To Top    #9

In the Industry

I don't get a plume at all.
    Man, it just shows how different each pool is. I get a little plume even if I "rinse" for 3 minutes. I'm gonna' try rinsing and then letting it sit for a while like you do.....I'll bet that solves my problem.

2nd subject - when to backwash....no word from pentair yet.....I'll keep trying.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

10. Back To Top    #10

When I first moved in, I was using a T100 filter that was installed in 1989 (we found the receipt). Worked great for a while then suddenly I was getting sand in the pool no matter what. I decided that it was old enough I wasn't going to try repairing it and put in the exact same T100. Problem solved, and like I said I never, and I mean NEVER, get any plume or sand into the pool. I've been so happy with the simplicity of my equipment, it almost takes the sting out of it all. I should post pictures of my plumbing and such again. It's bone stock simple. One skimmer, one main drain, 4 returns all at the shallow end blowing at the deep end (although during the replaster we put in standard returns and I modified the eyeballs so they circulate the water), then in the equipment room there is just the pump, SWG, and filter, with the plunger style diverter for filter/backwash. No valves, etc. I guess that's what you got in 1957.

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you for sharing those videos. Great to know!
    16'x34' Inground Vinyl Pool. 65,500L. Hayward S244T2 24 Sand Filter. Hayward 1hp Super Pump. Raypak PR266 EN 266,000 btu,. AquaRite SWCG. Aqualamp LED 2 w/ remote