Contractor lying abt acid wash?

cmgg

Jun 18, 2014
jefferson, nj
Paid to have plaster pool light acid washed since we had to drain it bc of replacing tile and coping. Results disappointing. I think they just power washed it. Company is standing by their tech, because the ticket says he was there for a few hours, way longer than it should have taken. See before (blue white diamond tile)and after (blue tile)pics.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Welcome to TFP cmgg!

Someone will be along shortly to help you with this acid wash.

Without knowing what is causing the gray in the plaster it is hard to say. You could test with a 50/50 MA/Water dilution in a small area. Scrub with a brush for 30 seconds then wash thoroughly with water. Keep it SMALL otherwise you are going to need to worry about neutralizing the puddle in the bottom of the pool.

I would do an area near the puddle in the bottom of the pool so you don't add any streaks. Before you start - measure the pH of the existing puddle, then again after. Make sure you are in range that the puddle won't damage the plaster (7.2-7.8)

... and take before and after pictures.

WEAR GLOVES A MASK AND GOGGLES. This is caustic stuff. Expect green foam and lots of nasty vapors.

Certain types of graying does not come off with an acid wash. So I agree with KB that you should try that experiment (closely following the instructions) by using a small amount of acid on a gray area.

If the diluted acid solution doesn't remove the gray quickly, then the gray is internal to the plaster. In other words, it is not a deposit type of stain that is easily removed by acid or by sanding.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.