New Owner - Cleaning my pool the TFPC way!

CCPool

Jun 18, 2014
New Jersey
Hello Everyone!
I am a second year pool owner. Last year, I wasted a lot of water and money trying to open the pool myself. I had pool stores test my water and I follow their advice by buying their chemical. It was a learning experience by trial and error.

This year, I am glad to stumble upon this site and want to clean my pool the proper way! I recently replaced my pump which I probably fried last summer because water was not going through the pump. Now I have a green swamp in my backyard. I ordered the TF100 kit last Monday and I am still waiting for it to arrive. It is being shipped via priority mail and I hope it arrives tomorrow. I also went to WalMart and purchased 12 jugs of 64fl Great Value Bleach.

While I wait for the test kit to arrive, is there anything I can do besides trying to clean up the debris on the bottom and skimming the top? Should I turn on the pump on and let it run? I have read pool school a few times and I have been reading people’s experiences in this forums. Once I get my test kit, I’ll post my results.

Thanks in advance for your advice and recommendations!

Pool.jpg

Get everything you can off the bottom. Use your leaf rake until your arms are spaghetti and then do it again tomorrow. The more "stuff" you get off the bottom the less bleach you'll need ($$) and the faster it will turn blue.
Once you're not getting anything with the rake you could always vacuum too.

Can you see the bottom of the deep end, the shallow end, first step :confused::confused:

Shop around for bleach. My areas best deal is Fleetfarm, case of 4 gallons 12.5% for 9.99
To figure out price per oz you need a calculator as some is 6%, 8%, 12.5% .... and the size in oz can be different. You need to figure out per oz cost to see what it's really costing you.
Link to calculator : http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/

Other than getting everything you can out of the pool, go buy more bleach!!! When you think you have enough, double it and store it in a cool dark place like a basement.

Post pics of the SLAM and amazing transformation about to take place!!!

Hi,
Just got home and did the test in the dark with mosquitos. This was my first time. I hope I did it right. I probably need to do it again the morning.

FC 0
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 100
CYA 20

@JasonLion - Confirmed my pump is working.

@kiss4afrog - I did some vacuuming before, so now I can see my first step. I can't see the pool floor anywhere else. There is a whole layer of algae (dead?) on the floor.

I believe the next step is to raise my CYA and decrease the ph. I will also buy more bleach!

Last edited:
This will be another fun one to watch if there are pictures to go along with the process. =) Hope to see you back with test results to get this SLAM started. Hope everything else I'm about to say doesn't overwhelm you....

I see your profile says your in NJ just not which part but I did see this after a little looking in the "bleach price" thread....so maybe it is helpful to you. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/71808-Bleach-Prices-2014?p=653672viewfull=1#post653672

Definitely more bleach.... When I seen the number 12 I didn't originally realize they were only half gallon jugs. Just for a little comparison, and doesn't necessarily translate to your pool since they all take different amounts of chlorine and time BUT there was another poster with a green 22000 gallon pool, and I counted AT LEAST 16 gallons of 8.25% bleach. I suspect he used closer to 25 gallons. This was with 2 huge water drains to lower his CYA to 40!

Also here is a link you can use to compare different size and strength prices to each other. The lower the cost per ounce, the cheaper that one is overall. http://poncatechsquad.com/dan/chlorine/

When you're looking for bleach don't forget to check out places like Walmart, Homedepot, Menards, ...
In my area the best I've found is FleetFarm. They sell a 4 gallon case of 12.5% "pool shock" for 9.99

Because bleach comes in 6%, 8%,12.5% ... and in different size containers it's best to compare the price per ounce when shopping to see what you are really paying for the chlorine.
http://poncatechsquad.com/Dan/Chlorine/

Bring the pH down as once you start to SLAM you can't trust the reading. Higher levels of chlorine will make the results quesionable until you are back under 10ppm.
With CYA the higher the level the higher you need to keep the FC (chlorine) level. That means more chlorine $$ to SLAM. You might want to leave the CYA alone until you are done as you'll use less bleach. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Hi,
I retested today and got the same results.
CC 0
PH 8.2
TA 100
CYA 20

Plan of attack

1) Lower PH (Pool calculator – 22k gallons, target 7.2) = add 65oz muriatic acid
a. Do I target 7.2 or 7.5?
b. Based on JasonLion’s post I read, I will pour it slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.
c. Do I pour 65oz one time or should I divide them and allow time between each part?
d. How long do I have to wait until I can test the PH?
e. The only test for PH is the Basic OTO test, correct?
2) Only after my PH hits the target level, I will start slamming…
a. I can start slamming at CYA – 20, correct? If yes, I’ll increase FC to 10 (Pool calculator – 22k gallons, target 10, 8.25% bleach, 128oz jug) = 332oz. Since, I purchased 64oz jug, I double the number to 664oz. 664oz/64oz jug = 10.375. If I understand and did this correctly, I will need to pour 10-11 jugs of Great Value 64oz (8.25%) of bleach.
b. I will retest every hour and continue to add bleach to reach FC level of 10.

If you are reading 8.2 it's possible you are over 8.2 since that's as far as it goes. Toss in the 65oz all at once slowly at the deep end in front of the return jet and let it mix for 30-60 minutes and test again. You might still be high and need to make another addition to get closer to 7.3/7.2
You don't really need to balance the pH before you SLAM it's just that once you start you can't trust the reading so it's just easier to do it now. One less thing to do later :D
One test for pH
Yes SLAM at CYA 20 if that's what it's at.

The pool math calculator calculates. Just punch in the strength and size of the container and it tells you straight out how much to add. I'm coming up with 5.2 jugs but ... I could be on drugs :scratch:.

If 5.2 is correct I'd toss in six. You want to MAINTAIN the FC at 10 or a little above. What you don't want to do is let it drop below 10 (by much) and raise it back up. The more it drops down the less effective the chlorine is and the longer you'll need to do the SLAM and more bleach you'll use to get the same results. Try to shoot for 12 and don't drop below 8 if possible. 10 to 12 would even be better but life can get in the way !!

Dump in the bleach and start to sweep daily and multiple times if possible. Even though you can't see sweeping the stuff off the sides, bottom, steps and ladders helps the process along. If you have lights don't forget to clean behind them.

1) Lower PH (Pool calculator – 22k gallons, target 7.2) = add 65oz muriatic acid
a. Do I target 7.2 or 7.5?
b. Based on JasonLion’s post I read, I will pour it slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running.
c. Do I pour 65oz one time or should I divide them and allow time between each part?
d. How long do I have to wait until I can test the PH?
e. The only test for PH is the Basic OTO test, correct?
2) Only after my PH hits the target level, I will start slamming…
a. I can start slamming at CYA – 20, correct? If yes, I’ll increase FC to 10 (Pool calculator – 22k gallons, target 10, 8.25% bleach, 128oz jug) = 332oz. Since, I purchased 64oz jug, I double the number to 664oz. 664oz/64oz jug = 10.375. If I understand and did this correctly, I will need to pour 10-11 jugs of Great Value 64oz (8.25%) of bleach.
b. I will retest every hour and continue to add bleach to reach FC level of 10.

Target 7.2 prior to SLAM
If your confident in your pool size, and you used the proper concentration of Muratic acid that you have, I would feel comfortable doing the entire amount. If not, maybe use a little less, like 80 or 90 % of suggested amount and compare what you would expect to see to what you actually see in PH change.
30 minutes is adequate, not sure what bare minimum is to wait for retest
Yes, only ph test is the OTO red color matching
Yes, Start slam once you get PH down

332 oz of 8.25% chlorine PERIOD.. in a 22000 gallon pool, it is 332 OZ of 8.25% chlorine to raise your FC level by 10....332 oz regardless of jug size. The only thing that changes depending on jug size is how many jugs to reach 332 oz. 332oz/64oz jugs = 5.2 jugs and like said above....just round up to the next full jug (6 jugs of 64 OZ 8.25% bleach)

Yes test every hour...In the beginning your chlorine could be going very fast, so you could even go less than an hour if you wanted to.....The longer and more continuous your pool is bumped back to 10 or above (SLAM level) the better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I now see what you did, and why you thought you needed to double your calculation..
(Pool calculator – 22k gallons, target 10, 8.25% bleach, 128oz jug) = 332oz. Since, I purchased 64oz jug, I double the number

So, when using pool math, when you enter in your gallons, now reading, and your goal reading...it automatically calculates how many oz you need to add. The only time the amount in Ounces will change is if you change the bleach strength your using.

So to walk you through it, first you make sure you have the proper gallons enter, then you enter 0 in your now column, then you enter 10 in your goal column. Then it says add 332 OZ of 8.25% bleach, jug size 128.

Now some things to clarify in case there was confusion... The 8.25% bleach box can be manually changed to whatever strength chlorine your using..6% 10% 12.5%. Also, the jug size has a pull down arrow to change the jug size your using. Where the Jug size comes into play is this....If you look to the right of where your gallons are entered...there is a white text box there....If you move your mouse cursor over the 332 OZ box, you will see this pop up in the white text box...2 gallons 2 quarts or 5.2 (64 oz) jugs. Now if you were to use the pull down window and change jug size to say 128 it would change to 2 gallons 2 quarts or 2.6 (128 oz) jugs

Hi All,
Today, I went to Home Depot and found the Klean-Strip Green Safer Muriatic Acid in the paint section. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the strength on the label. I tried to look for the numbers 31.45 and 20 (Pool calculator 31.45% - 20 Baume) to no avail. I stood there for 30 minutes and decided just to buy it and ask the helpful people on this forum and knowing I can return it if it wasn't the right one. I came home and did a search and found the thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/32512-Klean-Strip-Green-Muriatic-Acid. After I reading this, I finally added the 65oz wearing PPE (goggles, gloves, face mask) and having adjacent running hose.

@scott.MI
Wow! Thanks for looking over my calculations. It's a habit from school many years ago to show all work. I now understand how to use the pool calculator and the mouse over function.

@kiss4afrog
You were right with the 6 jugs. I can't wait to start slamming and will clean throughout the day.

Next Steps
1) Wait one hour for Muriatic acid. Measure PH. Add more Muriatic acid.
2) I will not wait for test PH again and start slamming with 6 jugs.
3) Go out and buy more bleach

Thank you all!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.