Vinyl liner movement

Jul 8, 2011
While swimming this evening my son said the liner was slipping (i.e., moving) under his feet. Is this normal? Putting on googles, I verified that the liner could be moved on the slope leading to the deep end. Note that my water temperature was 86 degrees. I thought it would be next to impossible to move the liner under that much water...also note that my liner is tight to the bottom.

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

About the only way I think that can happen is water behind the liner. As you suspect, the weight of the water typically holds a liner in place permanently.

If ground water can get high enough to equalize the pressure, then the liner can float away from the pool surface completely so it is certainly possible for it to move a little.

That was my thought. The liner is extremely tight across the entire pool though. I do have a steep slope (pool depth goes from 3.5 feet to 10 feet in just 9 feet).

20 x 44.5 single roman end, ~33,000 gallons, 10 feet deep, garrett vinyl liner, Hayward SwimClear Cartridge Filter, Hayward 2 HP Pump, Cirrcupool RJ60 SWG, Hayward 140k BTU Heater, Polaris 380 with Booster Pump

I had the pool builder come out to look at our liner...he pumped a couple thousand gallons of water from under the deep end (we installed a foot valve under the deep end when building). It seems like I could keep the pump running continuously and water would keep coming out. My pool liner is tight against the bottom with no wrinkles. Anyone else have this issue? I'm guessing it's ground water and the water pressure in our pool keeps it from floating the liner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.