Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Fine particles in pool and can't get rid of

1. Back To Top    #1

Fine particles in pool and can't get rid of

I am new to TFP as we moved into the house last August. We have several large trees and a creek within a few yard of our pool. The fall and winter were hard on the pool and I tried to keep up with the leaf removal but there were just sooooo many.....

Anyway, I have been trying to get the pool back in balance for a couple of months now. I tried to pool store way and was getting nowhere with a thin wallet fast. I found this website a few weeks ago and started the SLAM method a little over two weeks ago. I have kept the FC above 28 as much as possible with work and life. The lowest it has been is 16 but has been above 20 almost the entire time.

It looks better than it did two weeks ago for sure but there is still a dusting of fine particles in the pool. My numbers (from about 30 minutes ago) are below and I would appreciate any help I can get. I have been scrubbing and vacuuming either every day or every other day over the last two weeks.

FC - 33.5
    CC - 3
    pH - 7.4
    TA - 80
    CH - 260
    CYA - 90

Thanks

BTW, we are in Dallas, TX
    23,000 Gallon - 18x34 In Ground Kidney shaped gunnite - DE Filter - Also a newbie

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Fine particles in pool and can't get rid of

What's the pressure on the DE filter? When was the last time is was cleaned?
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Pressure about an hour ago was 5. I cleaned and put in new DE about three weeks ago.
    23,000 Gallon - 18x34 In Ground Kidney shaped gunnite - DE Filter - Also a newbie

4. Back To Top    #4

5 what? That is really low. Add more equipment details to your signature. Pump and filter model and size.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

5 PSI.

Will add to the signature as well:

Pump - AO Smith Centurion. Too dark to see the size this evening but it is at least 30 years old (original). Have plans to replace in next year.

Filter - also original - American Products 48 SQ. FT. 50 PSI. That's all I can make out. Again equipment is old but still works.

6. Back To Top    #6

I question that pressure reading. You would have to have a very small pump and low head loss. Does the gauge go to zero when the pump is off?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

yes it does. It takes a couple of minutes but it does.

8. Back To Top    #8

It should be instant. Get a new gauge. tftestkits.net has nice liquid filled ones less expensive than the cheap ones locally.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

ok. Will let you know when it gets here.

10. Back To Top    #10

OK, it came yesterday. I installed and it started at about 7 then was at 10 this afternoon so I backwashed the system. When I did this is it orked fine or a couple of minutes then it started blowing dirt back into the pool. I stopped it and it continued for another minute. When I checked the gauge it was at 5.5. Pool was almost clear before this. again, any help will be appreciated.

11. Back To Top    #11

Bear with me. When you originally said you cleaned the filter, did you open it up and take everything apart or open it and spray the grids or just backwash?

You should not get dirt back to the pool unless there is something wrong in the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

I did open it up, take it apart and add new DE. Could I have put something back correctly?

13. Back To Top    #13

That would be my guess ... pull it apart and inspect everything for damage
    Jason, TFP Moderator