Over Chlorination on new pool remodel

May 6, 2014
San Diego
I am in final stage of full pool remodel, contract included chemical start-up. Company guy came over yesterday, I didn't see him test water, didn't see any test kit, just used one of those test strips, dumped in 2 gallons of chlorine and 3 large scoops conditioner, he said to let it circulate for a few hours, said he's done and left. I had just replaced 3/4 of my pool water with new water for the second time as they had to do a "hot start" with lots of muriatic acid to get rid of mottling to finish, so it was mostly fresh water. I checked chemicals 3 hrs later with pump circulating water, also brought water sample to my local pool supply store. The chlorine level was extremely high, much too high to swim in, pool supply guy thought it might take a week to dissipate that high a level. Test kit showed chlorine an orange level, when I checked it again this morning, still orange. I called the company yesterday to advise, now the company man wants to come back out saying he was not done with chemical start-up. My ph is 7.4 and alkalinity is 90, conditioner 50. Can I just leave pool alone for several more days and let Chlorine dissipate on its own without harming my new pebble finish. I have hired a pool chemical company service which is due to begin Friday or Saturday, they have a sophisticated testing kit, can I wait for them to handle my water?

Thanks again Jason for your input. I have always taken care of my pool water myself, for some reason I thought a new pool finish critical and I might be better off with a professional. I had let the contractor know of chlorine level, he now wants to come back over to work more on my pool water, but as my conditioner and alkalinity are OK, I really don't want him putting in extra things just to force my chlorine down. I will take your advice and just wait for chlorine to go down on its own. Thanks much.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.