Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 4HP Pump on the Fritz!

1. Back To Top    #1

4HP Pump on the Fritz!

I have a 4HP swim jest pump that does not seem to start-up. When I turn it on, it makes a loud buzzing sound, and after about 30 seconds it trips the breaker. It sounds like the pump is trying to start but stuck/jammed. It's only about 5 years old, and it started "sticking" about a couple years ago, but I was usually able to get it going on the 2-3 turn on. Any thoughts on what it is or how I can troubleshoot the problem? I vaguely remember reading about the solenoid as a potential problem... It's a Speck/Centurion/AO Smith 4HP model: 21-80/33GS. See pics attached (don't know why they posted upside down)
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 4HP Pump on the Fritz!

That could be a bad start capacitor or a bad start switch. Sometimes you can get it to start by turning the shaft by hand a little and then it might start. But longer term the capacitor/switch (which ever it is) will continue to cause problems until it is fixed.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: 4HP Pump on the Fritz!

UPDATE: Jason, thanks for the input. So, I decided to do a test before replacing either the capacitor or the start switch. I removed the end cap on the pump and turned the motor a few times, to make sure it was free; I thought it may have needed a few turns to get it moving after sitting over the winter. It turned rather easily and in fact it had a very smooth motion - it felt well "oiled". Regardless, I replaced the end cap and tried starting it. It started immediately without hesitation. Success! So it seems it just needed a little spin. This is one of those rare occasions that a very simple fix worked just fine.
    Thanks again!