Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: puzzled about pool temp.

1. Back To Top    #1

puzzled about pool temp.

I am looking for some opinions on why my water temp. is so low. I live in central Florida on the east coast, so it is always warm here. We built our pool May 2007 and our water temp. has never been above 83 degrees. The pool is 9200 gallons and we do have an enclosure but it has at least 6 or 7 hours of sun a day. When we built, I never imagined that we would have a problem with water temp., and I only like to swim when it is really warm. We have heard other opinions that it could be the enclosure or it could be the water table. Didn't know if anyone would like to weigh in.

We also tried a solar blanket but it only raised the temp. by 3 degrees and it is very hard for me to take on and off everyday.

I tried posting in "what is your water temp", but got no responses. I wasn't too sure where to post.
    Thanks.
    9K IG Gunite,1 hp. pump, Sta Rite 1-100 cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, sheer decent, built 2007.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: puzzled about pool temp.

Is your enclosure glass or screen?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Does your pool have an autofill feature?
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

my pool has a screen enclosure and no autofill feature.
    9K IG Gunite,1 hp. pump, Sta Rite 1-100 cartridge filter, auto chlorinator, sheer decent, built 2007.

5. Back To Top    #5

That is curious, I would expect higher temperatures. Do we have some other Florida pool owners who would like to comment?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

A screen enclosure blocks a surprising amount of heat energy from the sun. It is very common for screen enclosed pools to require a heater in central Florida.

A heater and/or solar cover are the most practical ways folks bring their pool temps up to normal.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the input.

8. Back To Top    #8

I live in west central Florida (Tampa Bay). I was told by my pool builder, and did verify it for two months, that an unheated pool in our area would be the same temperature as the Gulf. As the Gulf temperature is around 85 right now, I would say that you have the same situation. Temperatures of large bodies of water should closely track the dew point temperature. They should be only slightly higher. This is the reason that pools in Arizona are cooler in the summer than in Florida, even though the Florida air temperatures are much lower.

Being in the Sunshine state, I would recommend a solar heater. We have one and it really keeps the pool at a nice temperature.
    7,500 gal, IG pool, L shape 22' x 15', 1.5 hp pump, cartridge filter, AquaPlus SWG/Controller, Pebble-Tec liner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Also, you might want to check the accuracy of your thermometer. It's not unusual for pool thermometers to be off by 2 to 3 degrees. Perhaps your pool is really 86 but the thermometer reads 83. (BYW, my pool thermometer is off the other direction, reading about 2 degrees high).
    22,000 gal, IG vinyl, 3/4 hp pump, 300lb sand filter (switched from DE), converted from baquacil (thanks to Ben), BBB since 2004