Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Landscape around pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Landscape around pool

was wanting to add about a 2 foot wide of landscape around my pool decking

I'm torn between lava rock / river rock or rubber mulch

The thing is we have 2 bigs dogs, who do like to run every now and then, if they see a creature in the backyard. What would work best that they wouldn't kick up everywhere ?
    28x18 Rio Style *painted* pool ~14,000 , 1 hp Hayward , 1200c Star Clear Plus and a PA120 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW PA

Re: Landscape around pool

If your dog is like my dog, I'd stay away from the rubber due to ingestion. So that leaves You with lava n river rock. I prefer river only because we live so close to the river, it's natural!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

Newton, NC

I'd recommend the river rock. When we were looking to put rock in our pool area, my impression of the lava rock was that it very lightweight, had sharp edges and was fragile and would break down in the a couple of years. We have put down 20 cubic yards of river rock around our pool area (on top of landscape fabric) and are very happy with it. We have one area that is a very steep slope. We put the larger rocks there. It has survived several extremely heavy downpours and several inches of snow without shifting at all. So, unless you get the real small (1" - 2") river rocks, they should stand up to your dogs running through them.
    Vince L

16' x 37' fiberglass pool, 8' fiberglass spa, Hayward Swimclear C3030 filter, Hayward EcoStar VS pump, Goldline Pro Logic PL-PS-8, Goldline SWCG, Goldline Sense & Dispense pH control, Fiberstars LED's in pool & spa, AquaCal SQ175R heat pump, SR Smith Typhoon slide, Polaris 9300xi robotic cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Miami, FL

I agree with VinceL and Casey on the river rock. Lava rock is very lightweight and porous. It breaks down into a powder over time. I think it would be a nightmare when it ends up in your pool.
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue