Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Don't laugh (or maybe do!)

1. Back To Top    #1

Thumbs up Don't laugh (or maybe do!)

We are moving into a new house this weekend. It has a pool. It was literally YEARS ago that I last took care of a pool (although, ironically, it was with liquid chlorine on some sort of "dripper" that I could adjust).

I've read Pool School at least four times. I've bought a REAL test kit like you guys recommend, and also have a few bottles of bleach, some Borax, and some Baking Soda.

When we inspected the house, the pool pump wasn't working and the pool looked, ummm... how shall I say it???.... NOT GOOD!

P1010426.jpg

The polaris wouldn't switch on, either.

============

I'll wait as you get over your insane jealousy of my lovely ASTROTURF pool decking (I thought astroturf was limited only to political discussions anymore... sadly, I was wrong.

Here's a photo of the pump, filter, etc. area:

P1010432.jpg

Yeah, so there's that. I have no clue what hp the pump is, or which way the water is going through all those pipes.

Anything else I can/should be doing between now and the weekend? Am I on the right track here?

I have some close-up photos of the individual pieces of equipment if that would help...

ANY ADVICE BEYOND BASIC POOL SCHOOL ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO WHILE I WAIT TO MOVE IN?? (Besides dropping the over-use of ALL CAPS?!?! And dropping the use of ridiculous punctuation?!!?!!??
    25,000? gallon IG Plaster; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; 1.5hp Challenger PAC-FAB Self-Priming Pump; no heater; no cover; old Polaris with PB4 1.5hp Booster Pump. Built in 1970s. Replastered last year.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Don't laugh (or maybe do!)

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well that is some interesting pipe routing to say the least. The suction pipes (water coming from the pool) enter the front of the pump (which I can barely see in the picture). The water then goes out of the top of the pump and into the filter and then out of the filter to all the mess on the left of the sideways picture.

There is then a line coming out of these return lines that is actually on the suction side of the booster pump for the polaris and then out of the top and to the cleaner. You need to have both pumps running for the cleaner to hopefully move.

That is some SWEET astroturf
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Someone was extremely lazy hooking that pump up. Based on what I see, you could probably greatly improve flow by hard plumbing it in.

I wonder why they cut that piece of pipe off the valve, or really it looks like it was never installed.

That pool doesn't look that bad, it won't be hard to clean up once the equipment is running. By the way you'll need LOTS of bleach, and maybe NO borax or baking soda.

I love the Brady Bunch deck. LOL
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

So... more than 4 gallons?

How many should I get to be ready for day 1?? Maybe 20?

Also, I think the previous owners went with green astroturf in an attempt to have the decking match the pool water.
    25,000? gallon IG Plaster; Pentair FNS Plus DE Filter; 1.5hp Challenger PAC-FAB Self-Priming Pump; no heater; no cover; old Polaris with PB4 1.5hp Booster Pump. Built in 1970s. Replastered last year.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am confused by some of your comment Robbie The pump looks hard plumbed to me (well not the booster, but that is normal) and I see no cut valve?

You need to know the volume and have some test results before we can suggest how much bleach to add. You need to follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Well that is some interesting pipe routing to say the least.
    I should add that it looks like the pool had a heater at one time. Would that explain the crazy and cut pipes?

7. Back To Top    #7

Not really, there are just so many turns that are not needed for anything. Can you zoom out more for the picture and move over in front of the filter?

You may need to start this: How To Post Pictures
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    I am confused by some of your comment Robbie The pump looks hard plumbed to me (well not the booster, but that is normal) and I see no cut valve?
    To me it looks like they used a semi flexible line that is much smaller in OD than the rest of the plumbing.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    To me it looks like they used a semi flexible line that is much smaller in OD than the rest of the plumbing.
    yeah, that needs to go. the rest doesnt look too bad though.
    Partially buried Doughboy Desert Spring 16 x 32, sport pool, with 7 ft deep middle, 20,000 gallons, Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1.5 HP 2 speed pump, 250 lb sandfilter, 2 Doughboy skimmers and 2 returns. 2 cascade fountains.
    Taylor K-2006 kit. Zodiac Barracuda Ranger suction side cleaner.
    TFPC method and is crystal clear every day thanks to TFP!!!

10. Back To Top    #10

That is for the booster pump for the cleaner. Seems that those are usually done with smaller flexible pipe just like this.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

Also: there is no drain in the deep end! I'm worried.

12. Back To Top    #12

Many pools do not have floor drains ... no problem.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

Which iPhone app is best to do the chemical recording in?

14. Back To Top    #14

I like PoolPal. It's based on TFP Pool Math just not sure if it's entirely up to date. It's been accurate for me aside from CSI numbers when compared to Pool Math. I'm on Android, so not sure on it's availability for iPhone.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

15. Back To Top    #15

8.25% sodium hypochlorite

$2.98 at my local Wally World

Look like a good deal?

16. Back To Top    #16

Decent. Liquid chlorine in bulk from pool store is likely cheaper.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

Did final walk through of house today. Got some close ups of the equipment. Moving in on Saturday.