test results, not sure what to do next

Mar 30, 2014
Brunswick, GA
I just got a taylor test kit in the mail today and did all the tests.. The results are as follows:

FC 3.5
CC 1
PH 7.2
TA 120
CYA 33

I took a sample to get tested 5 days ago and the borates were at 10 at the time. I'm not sure if that would change much between now and then so I used 10 in the pool calculator. I left the goal numbers the default and have a list of chemicals to add now, but I'm not exactly sure in what order to do things in..

Can someone run those test results and chime in on what I need to do?

Thanks!

The water looks a little cloudy, not horrible but not crystal clear. I've only added chlorine since the pool has been up. And yes, just estimating.. landed between 30 and 40, more towards the 30 side. Pool store test showed 34 last Friday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC went up to 14 last night, and 11.5 this morning. Added a little more to bring it back up to 12. CC is at .5 and the water is looking really clear. Just waiting to pass the OCLT!

20140619_072551.jpg

Ok, I think I'm done, here's the results from this morning:

FC - 11 (down from 12 last night)
CC - .5
pH - 7.5
TA - 100
CH - 110
CYA - 35

I don't have any borate test strips so I'm going to the store to let them test so I can get a borates reading. What would be the next step to get things in the ideal range? According to pool math my CYA is the only thing that looks off now. Can I add stabilizer now while I'm waiting for FC to drop back down? Then borax when everything is balanced?

Because it is not really needed and some of the benefits are subjective and overstated.

Focus on regular maintenance and consider them later if your pH is rising faster than you like.

jblizzle is far more knowledgeable than me dustyyy. I can only share my experience of adding Borates to our pool. After I achieved my target numbers and had confidence I was and could maintain a proper TFP pool then I added Borates.

I bought my acid, borax, followed recommendations. It all went very well and this was done late during last summer. I have yet to make any adjustments other than adding a little CYA this years opening and keeping my FC level of 4ppm.

I did not mention to my wife, daughters 19 and 15 at the time my plan or what I was doing. Once I was done and had everything on target again. They my daughters asked me if I had done something to the pool? I told a little lie, said No and why are you two asking me? They both replied the pool is prettier and softer. I then told them both what I did to the pool and they made me feel like I had not wasted my time or money adding all the 20 mule and acid.

So that's my story 2 teenagers noticed a difference and I have not made any major adjustments other than maintaining FC and bringing up CYA level 10ppm after topping pool water level begin of this summer.

I am not saying there is not a difference, but it is not a magic pill to fix something fundamentally wrong with the chemistry that many members seem to think it is. And some members have reported back with the inability to notice a difference.

Full disclosure ... I ordered 50 pounds of boric acid 2 days ago that I can add to my pool and hot tub :mrgreen:
Although, I am more hoping for slowing down the pH rise than a "feel" of the water ... we shall see :)

Hopefully jblizzle you for will get what I got a rock solid PH level. It has been 7.6 for me every time I have tested since adding Borates. Good Luck dustyyy with Borates if that is what you decide to do and jblizzle I want you to be beblizzled and awed with your full disclosure. Goodness I so enjoy this TFP family.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.