Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: test results, not sure what to do next

1. Back To Top    #1

test results, not sure what to do next

I just got a taylor test kit in the mail today and did all the tests.. The results are as follows:

FC 3.5
    CC 1
    PH 7.2
    TA 120
    CYA 33

I took a sample to get tested 5 days ago and the borates were at 10 at the time. I'm not sure if that would change much between now and then so I used 10 in the pool calculator. I left the goal numbers the default and have a list of chemicals to add now, but I'm not exactly sure in what order to do things in..

Can someone run those test results and chime in on what I need to do?

Thanks!
    15x24' Signature RTL (10k gallons), Pentair SuperFlo 1hp dual speed pump, Pentair Clean and Clear RP 150 sqft filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: test results, not sure what to do next

Have you actually added borates previously?

How does the water look?
    The CC of 1ppm generally points to a need to follow the SLAM Process. Beyond that, things look fine.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

How did you come to CYA of 33? Just estimating by where it fell on the tube?
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

The water looks a little cloudy, not horrible but not crystal clear. I've only added chlorine since the pool has been up. And yes, just estimating.. landed between 30 and 40, more towards the 30 side. Pool store test showed 34 last Friday.
    15x24' Signature RTL (10k gallons), Pentair SuperFlo 1hp dual speed pump, Pentair Clean and Clear RP 150 sqft filter

5. Back To Top    #5

You may want to run the overnight chlorine loss test.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...loss-test-oclt
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

If I do the SLAM process, looking at the chart I want FC at about 12.. How often should I check and add chlorine to maintain that 12?

7. Back To Top    #7

Every hour or so at the start ... if it is not dropping too fast then less often.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

8. Back To Top    #8

Would it be a bad idea to start now then? 6pm EST.. Don't want to be out there past midnight testing still

9. Back To Top    #9

Now is a great time to start as you will lose no FC to the sun. Do what you can then go to bed and test /adjust in the morning.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok thanks! I poured a gallon of 8.25% bleach in and an hour and a half later I'm at 13.5ppm. Will test a couple more times through the night, thanks again guys!

11. Back To Top    #11

FC went up to 14 last night, and 11.5 this morning. Added a little more to bring it back up to 12. CC is at .5 and the water is looking really clear. Just waiting to pass the OCLT!

12. Back To Top    #12

Ok, I think I'm done, here's the results from this morning:

FC - 11 (down from 12 last night)
    CC - .5
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 100
    CH - 110
    CYA - 35

I don't have any borate test strips so I'm going to the store to let them test so I can get a borates reading. What would be the next step to get things in the ideal range? According to pool math my CYA is the only thing that looks off now. Can I add stabilizer now while I'm waiting for FC to drop back down? Then borax when everything is balanced?

13. Back To Top    #13

Yes you can add stabilizer now. Why are you adding borates?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

14. Back To Top    #14

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...ol-Why-and-How seems to be an added bonus to add borates.. is there a reason why I shouldn't?

15. Back To Top    #15

Because it is not really needed and some of the benefits are subjective and overstated.

Focus on regular maintenance and consider them later if your pH is rising faster than you like.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

jblizzle is far more knowledgeable than me dustyyy. I can only share my experience of adding Borates to our pool. After I achieved my target numbers and had confidence I was and could maintain a proper TFP pool then I added Borates.

I bought my acid, borax, followed recommendations. It all went very well and this was done late during last summer. I have yet to make any adjustments other than adding a little CYA this years opening and keeping my FC level of 4ppm.

I did not mention to my wife, daughters 19 and 15 at the time my plan or what I was doing. Once I was done and had everything on target again. They my daughters asked me if I had done something to the pool? I told a little lie, said No and why are you two asking me? They both replied the pool is prettier and softer. I then told them both what I did to the pool and they made me feel like I had not wasted my time or money adding all the 20 mule and acid.

So that's my story 2 teenagers noticed a difference and I have not made any major adjustments other than maintaining FC and bringing up CYA level 10ppm after topping pool water level begin of this summer.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

17. Back To Top    #17

I am not saying there is not a difference, but it is not a magic pill to fix something fundamentally wrong with the chemistry that many members seem to think it is. And some members have reported back with the inability to notice a difference.

Full disclosure ... I ordered 50 pounds of boric acid 2 days ago that I can add to my pool and hot tub
    Although, I am more hoping for slowing down the pH rise than a "feel" of the water ... we shall see
    Jason, TFP Moderator

18. Back To Top    #18

Hopefully jblizzle you for will get what I got a rock solid PH level. It has been 7.6 for me every time I have tested since adding Borates. Good Luck dustyyy with Borates if that is what you decide to do and jblizzle I want you to be beblizzled and awed with your full disclosure. Goodness I so enjoy this TFP family.
    24' Reprieve RD/AG/13K gal Vinyl TFP method
    Waterway Clearwater 175 sqft Cartridge
    Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP Pump 2-Speed
    TF-100 Test Kit SpeedStir Borate Insta Test
    Spreading TFP to All

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Stump, I think I'll go ahead and order the test strips and give it a shot once everything seems to be on target for a while.