Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Should I raise borate level?

1. Back To Top    #1

Locustville, VA

Should I raise borate level?

Split by moderator from HERE. Please start a new thread for your own questions. Thanks, jblizzle

please let me tell you that I am new to the BBB method. I have studied this site for a week now and just order my testing kit that won't arrive until next Tuesday. So I am relying on the numbers from the pool store until it does. Am I to understand that the optimum amount of Borate is 50? I had it up to 41 and then vacuumed to waste and the level fell back down to 31. I have a very small 21 ft round and had some white matter in the bottom so I thought vacuuming to waste would be the norm. Should I stop vacuuming to waste? Should I bring the Borate level back up to 50? The alkalinity is at 112ppm. Everything else is perfect. Should I not do anything until I get the new test kit?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Should I raise borate level?

How often have you been dosing with chlorine/bleach? How much? It's important to keep a residual of chlorine, keep the algae at bay, the other numbers you can address when the test kit comes in.
    You are correct the optimum amount for borates is 50. You can vac to the filter, then clean out the filter, it helps maintain chemical levels. Saves water also.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

If you want or need to lower TA, you need to do it before you add borates.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
    If you want or need to lower TA, you need to do it before you add borates.

It is much harder to move once you add them
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    TF-100 Test Kit, ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Flagstone, 36"SF, Pentair VS Pump, EasyTouch W/Remote, Rheem 400KBTU Htr