Borax in 2 steps

astronaut888

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2013
southeast
Have some time tomorrow to start adding borates.
Have the Borax and MA enough to get a little better than half way to 50

Won't have a chance to get more borax/MA until next week and wondering if I should just wait and do all at once?

I imagine the answer is probably to just wait, however, as with most additions, most around here suggest adding less than you think you'll need with other chemicals and then testing to see if more needed - so, I was thinking that this may be ok for adding borates too.

Presently borate free - prior to recent liner replacement and water refill, I had borates in the pool in the form of "optimizer" from bioguard.

Can't see a problem with getting borates "half way" there and then completing the process a few days later.

Any input?

Assuming you got your TA where you want it.........:smile:

1/2 now and 1/2 later sounds like a good plan. You already got some borate test strips?

Couldn't pool store also test for borates? They used to "test" for my optimizer level - and - to my knowledge that is simply borates
I wouldn't necessarily trust their readings - just wondering of anyone here is aware of pool places checking for borates

Well I'll be darned
Using pool math - calculated borate addition for what I had on hand - 7 boxes borax - which should take me half way there
TA is 90
Added directly to pool and brushed 2x
Went straight to MA addition - 2 gallons and brushed thoroughly again
Checked this morning and pH is 7.5 and TA is still 90(!)

No idea what borate level is bc don't have the test - by calculations should be 23

Gonna try and get the rest of the Borax today and I hope and do round 2 tonight

Hopefully I will have similar positive outcome with this next addition
I was afraid of goofing pH or TA significantly

As for testing borates - I'll get to that - but can't see the harm in being uncertain for a while - I know they're there right (?)

Gonna order a test kit for borates instead of letting pool store check as I'm in no hurry

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You probably don't even need test strips now. Add enough to get to about 50 ppm and you're close enough. However, you will want test strips next time (in a year or so) so you know how much you have left.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.