HELP! Cracks in my bond beam

sugilo

Jun 18, 2014
I recently discovered a crack in the bond beam of my pool. The pool has a cantilever deck, and I've been told the bond beam is likely connected (rebar) to the deck on the side where it is cracked. As such, as the deck settles, its cracking the bond beam. Does this seem right? What are my options? I'm kinda freaking out at the moment..
epuqyhyt.jpg
tu9evuza.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Can we get some more pictures? Pulled back so we can see the whole area. Is the cracking limited to one area or all along the side? How do you know the deck and pool wall are connected? How old is the pool?

How much is your deck settling?

Construction practices vary across the country. Generally today the rebar in the pool structure is not connected to any rebar in the deck. The idea is that the deck "floats" on top of the pool. But there are situations where they should be connected.

Thanks gwegan. Here is a photo of the top of the deck where the crack is. I'm really not sure how far the crack goes (I'm afraid to find out). Visibly, the deck doesn't look like it has settled much. Note: what looks like coping stones are painted on the cantilever deck.

I don't know that the pool and deck are connected, that's just what one repair guy said.. I realize that is 'unconventional' for a cantilever deck.

The pool is approximately 15 years old.

Thanks!
5adu2e4e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

As is obvious you have cracks where there probably should have been control joints. I see where the repair person thinks the pool and the deck may be connected. You might want to tap along your tile line to see if it sounds hollow.

Repairs -- well with unlimited money I'd say take out the deck repair the bond beam and replace the deck. There are some steps less than that -- including just replace the tiles every few years until it gets so bad you have to fix it. There are other possible fixes but all involve removing tile and separating the deck from the pool.

Because the deck is cracking, that means the deck is moving. The pool is not moving. Pools are designed to be unmoving sold objects. So the moving deck is tearing up the unmoving pool.

Time to find two or three old pool guys (he ones that have chlorine instead of blood) to come by and give you some bids. Find the idea you like and then ask the guy you like if he would do it and how much.

Someone else might chime in with some ideas.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.