Cloudy Greenish Pool since partial refill

Jun 18, 2014
Tucson, AZ
I'm new to this forum & TFP but have recently been reading some of the threads re how to get rid of cloudiness in a pool. I have tried a number of suggestions that seemed appropriate but now I'm stuck.

Initially, my pool was sparkling clear but I needed to decrease CYA as it was > 120 so was using a lot of chemicals. I have a Taylor 2006 C Test Kit. I completed an approx 50% drain & refill 1 wk ago. I actually did 2 partial drain / refill procedures to accomplish that. Because the weather has been >100 F for the last 30 days, I had previously tried to replace water at a slower pace by backwashing several times. When that didn't work I did the drain/refill mentioned above. Due to cost of water usage I can't repeat that again right away.

Test results today are as follows:
FC 6.5 (have done the overnight test at least 4 times since refill including last night & this am with only 0.5 loss each time. I did slam the pool 2nd day after refill with FC up to 27, then let it drop to current levels. Since then have been raising to 8 or 9 on a daily basis)
CC 0 or maybe 0.2 (not really sure since solution was only very slightly pink )
ph 7.6 (Once FC dropped below 10, have been adding acid as recommended to drop ph to 7.2 along with aeration to drop TA)
TA 150 (down from 225 previously - with aeration w/ spa jets, Will still be working on this)
CYA 70 (down from 120-140 prior to refill)
CH 375 (down from 460 prior to refill)

Recommendations for amount of acid & bleach additions are from the pool calculator app on my phone - results have been spot on. Also great for tracking all my test results. I'm only using muriatic acid, & bleach 8.25%. Stopped using tablets earlier this year when I found out about CYA levels.

Filters have been cleaned, pool has been brushed daily. Vacuum is working but pool still has a greenish cloudiness.

Based on some of the threads I read, I added about 3/4 cup DE to skimmer. I let pump run for an hour last night (until PSI was approx 2 higher than normal) then turned pump off in case PSI would get too high during night. This morning after 2-3 hours I noticed the PSI had jumped to 5 above normal - maybe I added too much DE?

Now I'm wondering if I should backwash again or wait, but am concerned about causing trouble wth the pump at higher PSI. Also not sure what other things to do to get rid of this cloudiness.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!! Another Southern AZ member :party:

Looks like you have done your homework :goodjob:

But, it does not sound like you really followed the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. There are 3 criteria to stop and you admittedly are failing one of them.

You should continue to backwash when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. Adding DE will likely cause the pressure to rise more quickly due to capturing whatever is in your water.

Thanks so much for your quick response. I went ahead and backwashed my pool and the pressure is now back to normal. I'm wondering if I should add more DE.

I need to clarify that when I initially did the SLAM my pool was actually still clear but showed a small amount of green on one of the walls which I brushed off, then added the chlorine to get it up to 27 (according to your chart 28 would have been the right number). Now when I look at the dates, it was only 4 days ago - on 6/14... seems much longer than that - my how time flies when you're having fun! or not!

The pool actually got green after that, but at no time has the night time loss been more than 0.5, even before the SLAM. In fact there was no chlorine loss from evening of 7/13 to 7/14 am. FC was 7.5 both times. I did the SLAM 7/14 anyway because of seeing a small amount of green on the walls.

According to the SLAM criteria you mentioned I should have kept the levels of chlorine at 28 until the pool was clear, at least I think that's what it says. However, the pool water wasn't cloudy when I started, but has become progressively worse since. I just don't understand why there is minimal loss at night- seems like it would be higher if there is still any live algae in the water, but yet, it is green!

I guess my question at this point is - should I bring the chlorine back up to 28 and re-SLAM?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I would take the FC back up to 28ppm and keep it there for at least a few days and see if the clarity improves. The water will not just cloud up due to raising the FC level unless it is killing algae that was not visible.

What is your filter pressure now? I would continue to add 1psi worth of DE and then backwash when the pressure is up 20-25%. You should see at least some improvement every day.

I'm not sure if I posted this initial thread in the right place for this forum. If not can you tell me where I should have posted?

It's been one week since my pool cleared after the first SLAM. I've maintained my Cl level > 7 at all times since.
Yesterday & today I noticed a yellow green tinge on the bottom, in one corner (shaded), & on the edge of steps.

From what I've read on this forum, I'm thinking this may be mustard algae. There are 2 lights - 1in spa & 1 in pool both a little more than 2 feet under water. I tried to find a top screw to remove the fixture for cleaning, but it looks to me like there are 3 or 4 screws around the fixture. I didn't see one at the top & there was no way I could loosen any of them while under water.

My questions are these:

Is it safe to do a partial drain of this plaster pool & spa down to top of light level so I can remove lights & clean the areas where lights are housed. Tucson temps this wk are predicted to be 106-108 F. Was planning on another partial drain to lower CYA & CH levels further, but not when this hot. Really can't afford to have a pool company come out at this time. I did a partial drain a couple weeks ago & it was hot then but hotter now! - & I worried the whole time that it may cause damage to exposed plaster, although I haven't seen any evidence of any damage done.

If this is Mustard Algae - In addition to doing a SLAM with Chorine at levels for mustard algae, Are there any other methods of getting rid of this while weather is hot without a partial drain? I don't want to keep SLAMMING every other week.

My current tests (per Taylor 2006C kit)
Water temp 82
FC. 8.5 (last overnight drop of 1.0, has been .5 most nights).
CC. 0
Ph. 7.4
TA 130
CH. 375
CYA 70

Thanks again for all your help! This forum is great!