Salt Water System, new pool owner, pool store test numbers out of whack, help!

Jabo

Jun 15, 2014
Freeport IL
:( I ordered the Taylor test kit you recommended, but won't be in til about 6-23-14, which won't help me if I want to swim this weekend. Pool store #'s:

FC 7.41 High
TC 8.4 High
CC .99 High
PH 8 High
TA 280 High
Calcium Hardness 272
CYA 22
Copper .1 High
Iron .2 High

Yesterday, numbers higher, so pool store recommended adding 8 lbs of BioGuard lo'n slo; and 1 lb of Chlorine-Free Shock Oxidizer; added about 7:30 last night. Put solar cover back on, ran pump 12 hrs. I will give yesterday's exact numbers if needed. Tested about noon today. They recommended to remove solar cover, run pump 12 hrs, rest 8 hrs, run 12 hrs until Friday and recheck then. I admit to running the SWS an additional 2 hrs because I had leaves and sand and dirt in the pool and was concerned about it. Storms with heavy rain yesterday, pool fill at maximum, more rain today and tomorrow, temps high 80's yest. high 70's today. Last week pool store had me add 1 lb lo n slo because of PH and add 1lb CYA.

What do you think? Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks Also salt test kit came today and tested that. First drop of silver nitrate curded up like milk might look, added 17 drops before turned color so 3400 reading on that. Film on test tube like calcium, but powdery. Water is generally known to be hard, here, but those numbers are OK?? Is this supposed to happen when I test for salt, the curding effect?

I also need to bring down the copper numbers so blonde hair does not turn green.

You FC level is OK assuming your CYA is truely not zero and around 20ppm.
Not good if that CC number is correct though ... that would warrant the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process
You should lower the pH with muriatic acid.

Why are you adding chemicals that the pool store is suggesting? The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you.

Your metals levels are not too high, but the use of sequestrant will lower the likelihood of issues. Only way to lower this is by replacing water with some that does not have metal in it.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I grew up in Rockford, dad still lives there, and my brother now lives in Winnebago ;)

Thanks, Jason. Adding chemicals to pool with advice of pool store because my test strips from intex show alkalinity too high by color, so took water to them to process and advise. My strip showed FC on borderline of being high, ph border-line of being high. New pool owner so don't know :) Don't want anyone to get rash if chlorine level too high! Had leaves and still have some sand and dirt in bottom from getting in and out with no deck yet and no vacuum yet except mesh bag and water hose. Worried someone might get sick with sand and dirt in there for about 5 days. Worry wart at this point. Will get some kind of vac today or tomorrow to get bottom cleaned up. Trying to use pool calculator and need to study how to use more in-depth; not sure I did correctly. Have to look up what sequestrant means, don't know w/o looking up term in your glossary.

Oh, you know this area! Great, husband doesn't want to take this pool down this winter, do you think with pool cover, and pool kit we can leave up? Gets cold and stays cold here, last winter was the worst in long time. Great Italian Restarant in Winnebago, Tony's. Thanks so much, Jason.

Bonnie

Well, I never had a pool until I moved to AZ ... so I am no help with winterizing, but there are many members that keep them up in the winter.

Once there is CYA in the water, the chlorine is buffered so it is not really all that harsh on your suits, skin, hair, etc. In fact you are less likely to be irritated with the FC being a little high than you would if it were too low (it is the CC that are irritating).

Once your kit arrives, you will be much better able to care for the pool by KNOWING the chemical levels and not guessing at them based on poor pool store testing and test strips.

At the top of PoolMath there is a link to instructions on how to use it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.