Lower TA or close enough?

Jun 23, 2012
TC 16.5
FC .5
TA 130
cya 20
CH 300
PH 7.2

Just got my TF100 Today. I have next dose of Cya in sock in skimmer Basket. My water is very cloudy. I'm on day 15 of shocking. I am starting to be able to see 2 bleach bottles in bottom of pool I filled with sand to hold ladder down. Should I lower TA or is it close enough?

Will using flock get rid of cloudiness faster?

I wouldn't mess with TA during SLAM. In fact, I wouldn't worry about any of your numbers other than FC during SLAM. Once the SLAM is done and FC comes back down to normal, then check these numbers and we can see where you are. One thing I'll mention, if you don't have horrible pH drift up, you can leave TA alone. If you are constantly adding acid, then you can add to 7.0-7.2 and this will slowly bring TA down and should stop drift.

Personally I would not use floc to get rid of the dead algae. Let the filter do the job.

I am starting to be able to see 2 bleach bottles in bottom of pool I filled with sand to hold ladder down. Should I lower TA or is it close enough?

Will using flock get rid of cloudiness faster?
Getting rid of those bleach bottles and the ladder if it's still in there will probably help more. Odds are, they are providing refuge for algae spores which are reproducing.

My water is still cloudy, but I can see the bottom of pool now. There are still some things on pool floor ( Big Rocks need to be able to get in pool to get out) as well as liner seems to be stained brown in spots from sitting 2 years. Do I need to keep running filter 24 Hours still?

TC is kept between 10-14 Kids keep adding to much bleach
FC is 0- floats between 0-1 pass 3 days

Am I safe to add ladder and go get rocks now?

It sounds like you may be at the point where adding a little DE to the filter will speed things along and clear up the cloudiness.

To be sure now -- your CC is zero and you passed the overnight loss test 3 days in a row? If so, I'd say start raising the CYA to around 40. Anytime the FC is below shock level for your CYA it's safe to let the kids in. Get the rocks out - they may be harboring algae underneath.

The over night test may be off. I work 5 pm till 2 am. So I'm testing about 4:30 pm then at about 2 am. Then again at 11am. Best I can do with my schedule. Fc has been either 0,.5, or 1 for past 3 days. I don't have kids do Fc at 9pm, just Tc level.

The over night test may be off. I work 5 pm till 2 am. So I'm testing about 4:30 pm then at about 2 am. Then again at 11am. Best I can do with my schedule. Fc has been either 0,.5, or 1 for past 3 days. I don't have kids do Fc at 9pm, just Tc level.

How often are you testing in total? A FC (free chlorine) level of 0.5 to 1 is way low for SLAM purposes. Your first post listed a TC (Free Chlorine number added to CC) and a FC (Free Chlorine, the part that does the killing) but no mention of the CC (Combine Chlorinmines, the evidence of cooties in the pool). For an effective SLAM you need to be monitoring the FC and the CC, nothing else at this time. When the CC's become progressively lower, and your FC is maintained at your desired level longer between tests is proof that its working. Where are you in this process?

I'm idiot I have test names wrong. All I'm doing is FC and CC.
Fc is kept at 10 or higher
CC is 0 past 3 test have been 0, .5, 1 In past 3 days highest was 1

Yay! Glad we are on the same page now :)
CC of 1 = continue with SLAM, but since you then went lower you might consider that you've passed as long as the other 2 criteria have been met (clear water and overnight loss of chlorine at no more than 1).

I see you say its still cloudy... I hope that just means the filter needs a little time to clear that up?

The pool guys had me put in something called zeote sand instead of regular sand. It is supposed to clean it faster and better. Since it is not faster, I'd doubting the better....Should I go ahead and still add some DE? I have to add more De back in every time I backwash right? Thanks for all the help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool guys had me put in something called zeote sand instead of regular sand. It is supposed to clean it faster and better. Since it is not faster, I'd doubting the better....Should I go ahead and still add some DE? I have to add more De back in every time I backwash right? Thanks for all the help.
Yes and yes.

If you use the search box on this site for zeosand, you'll find it doesn't get the rave reviews you'd expect.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.