Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights lights lights - LED landscape lighting

1. Back To Top    #1

TFP Guide

Lights lights lights - LED landscape lighting

It's come time to add some landscape lighting. We have 14 plants in two separate beds. I'm thinking uplights would be a nice touch. Also may add uplighting to the large FIG which is behind my pool wall.

Here's what I'm thinking. Please let me know if you guys see any obvious mistakes. Or heck if you have any suggestions

14 of these
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ght/1338/3082/

Maybe 2 of these for the fig tree
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...wer-leds/1199/

That puts me at 20W total so this power supply (60W Power supply is the next step up above 20W). 60W power supply.
    https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...r-supply/1339/

Any input/advice is welcome

Thanks guys/gals.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Lights lights lights - LED landscape lighting

Can't offer advice but good luck and post pics of the finished beds! I'd love to see them lit up!!!
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I would love to see a review when you get these in. They may go on my wish list.
    TFP Moderator Chris V. ~16K Pool & Spa, 48NSF DE, IG Plaster Circa 2000, Intermatic PE653, Challenger pump with a 2 speed B2984, 20gal stenner chlorine injection, Houston, TX
    One cannot follow Islam and Christianity at the same time, nor can one follow pool store methods and TFP at the same time.
    Pool School -- Pool Math -- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I would not use the 20watt transformer. Maxing it out from the get go is asking for issues. I would bump up to the 60watt unit. If it matter I am an electrical contractor in okc.

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

I changed it to 60w per your suggestion. Thank you

I'll probably order next week. I was hoping to get some reviews first. But I'll be a guinea pig on these. Everything I've bought from superbright LEDs in the past has been high quality...admittedly a decade ago.
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

6. Back To Top    #6

I dont have any experience with those lights. just want to say though, that its gonna look cool and definitely put 2 in the fig tree. You are going to love the ambience that they add at night.

I used several 1.5 lumen solar spot lights to shine on my sego palms and banana trees and a couple of 3 lumen lights to shine into my big oak trees. HUGE improvement at night. HUGE.

My original plan was to put low voltage lights but didnt really know how to place them for maximum benefit. So I got me a few Solars to stick around to test and they're easy to move around to get a different angle, distance and what-not and get the locations just right.

I was so impressed with the solars, I went and bought a bunch of them and at least for now, have scrapped the low voltage idea. At least for this year.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

7. Back To Top    #7

Divin Dave, which solars did you get? Anything special to consider when buying them?
    Swimming!: 19x32 IG rectangular pool, 22,500 gallons; 3' - 6.5'; open spa w/ 6 jets; raised wall w/ 1 sheer descent and 2 minijets, 2 color-changing LED pool lights, 1 spa light; Jandy 2 1/2 HP 2 speed Pump, Jandy cartridge filter (320 SQFT), Diamondbrite Cool Blue

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm curious to see how this works out. I'm using retrofit lights in my regular landscape lights and I've got 3 strips of waterproof led.

14,000 gallon IG plaster pool, Cartridge Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

THe ones I got are Hampton Bay - from Home Depot.
    Things to consider as far as I know, which ain't much.
    1. For pathways - Is the globe glass or plastic. Glass will not turn yellow due to UV
    2. Is the globe smooth or water glass. Smooth give an even glow of light. Water glass gives of rays of light, sort of like a star
    3. For Spots Lumens is key. To light up a large thing, like a tree, more is better. I have a couple of 50 lumen spots in the oak tree. In my banana trees, Im using 20 lumens. For a small thing, like a plant, 2-3 lumens works (for me).

thats really about all I can tell ya about solar lights.

Quote Originally Posted by jro33176 View Post
    Divin Dave, which solars did you get? Anything special to consider when buying them?
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Alrighty. I just placed an order. This is costing more than I'm comfortable with...but I am ready to be done with it so I ordered.

PRODUCT(S)
    Qty Product/Options Price/Ea
    14 GLUX-WW1W-U120 Warm White 27.95
    3 GL-WW3-U45 Warm White 39.95
    1 DA-60-12W 60 Watt - 12VAC 29.95
    1 GLUX-DDS Dusk to Dawn Sensor 11.95
    3 GLUX-MPT Male Power Cable 1.99
    2 GLUX-EC10 10m Extension Cable 11.95
    1 GLUX-EC2 2m Extension Cable 4.95
    1 GLUX-CC3 3 Output 2.95

I ended up ordering 3 of the larger LED lights. My plan is to either run two on the fig by the pool and one under the fig that's by the house....or possibly running them all under the fig by the pool. It just depends how much light they actually put out. I'm new to landscape lighting so this is a massive experiment.

Once I get these guys placed I can get my rock/glass mix laid, and find someone to lay some sod.

I tell ya, this pool project has really killed my Jeep dreams.

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

Great news, they shipped it all today and it will be at my house thursday. Pics will be here at that time.

12. Back To Top    #12

cant wait to see these lights lit up!
    Divin Dave,

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

Here's the 3W lamp. It appears to be very nicely constructed.

Here's the 1W. Pretty clever design that allows installation in a cpl ways. The included tube is perfect for what I'm doing.

It's not done, but it's getting closer
    Day - 1W

Night - 1W

14. Back To Top    #14

Your palms look great lit up. Nice work!
    Finally completed March 2014
    IG 27,300 gal 35'x16' 3.5'/5.5'/8' diving pool, Pentair Intellichlor IC40, De FNS 60, 3HP Intelliflo VF pump, Easy Touch 4, Kreapy Krauly Platnium, 3/4 Hp booster pump, raised stone wall w/ 2 stone scuppers, Stonescapes aqua blue mini pebble plaster

15. Back To Top    #15

Just placed an order with them too, for these: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ate/1911/4496/ but was lucky that when I "liked" them on facebook & found that they have a save 10% on entire order code: FBSM14 that expires on 7/7/14. Your lights look nice BTW and your post led me to this seller.

16. Back To Top    #16

That purple pool water should be SLAMmed immediately!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by woodyp View Post
    That purple pool water should be SLAMmed immediately!

Lol. Well I tried to SLAM the color out of it, I failed. Then I found out I had "limited edition chameleon water."

Quote Originally Posted by Spinachetr View Post
    Just placed an order with them too, for these: http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...ate/1911/4496/ but was lucky that when I "liked" them on facebook & found that they have a save 10% on entire order code: FBSM14 that expires on 7/7/14. Your lights look nice BTW and your post led me to this seller.
    Awesome! I expect you'll be happy with them. I've had good luck with superbrightleds in the past. And so far so good on these. Of course I have to order some more wires and connectors before I can complete the lighting. But that's just due to my own inexperience.

Quote Originally Posted by 737mech View Post
    Your palms look great lit up. Nice work!
    Thank you.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Great news, Progress is being made. Give me a few days and I'll update with completed images. I had to order more wire and another connector (the large lights are not wired for the "simple series connection"...so I had to alter things a bit. All 1W lights are installed...just have 3W'ers to go.

19. Back To Top    #19

I replaced all my bulbs with LED's from superbrightleds.com last year. I hope they last 10 plus years because I was replacing my regular low voltage bulbs ever few months. So far so good with no burn outs. I replaced two halagens and all of my path lights with warm white which look like the original color of lighting bulbs that I had. Cool white is a whiter light than the warm white so make sure you buy the ones you expect. My path light bulbs are just capped and are open to the environment. I sprayed the new LED's with silicon spray to water proof them and it seems to be working great.
    Inground 22k gallon gunite 15x31 main pool, 15x7 wading pool/sunning deck, hot tub/with overflow (9' octagon with limestone top) & slide NSWG, Aqua Blue Pebble Sheen
    Filter dual cartridge Sta-rite 450sq/ft, TF-100 Test Kit
    Heater Raypak 2100 400k btu cupro-nickel exchanger
    Auto pool cover, Polaris 280 auto pool cleaner, Jandy AqualinkRS8 Remote Control System

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

awesome! I'm a massive fan of theirs. They've treated me well in the past.

Here's a cpl night shots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast