Assistance with AG Purchase

Jun 18, 2014
Carlisle, PA
Hello all! This forum is awesome! I have learned so much just since last night.

We are looking to purchase an AG Pool. We first were going to get an IG pool, but we decided to start with an AG and if it gets enough use we may purchase an IG later. After reading a lot of posts on here, it looks like we are going to go with the Sharkline Matrix 33' x 54" from Pool Supply World. That is unless, someone convinces us to go with another manufacturer or supplier. :D We have an installer who will be installing it for us. I have a few questions about the purchase though.

1. I have been told that going above 28' is a bad idea because they are really hard to maintain any bigger. Can someone shed light on this?
2. Is it worth it to upgrade to the 25 mil liner. It is only about $100 difference.
3. After reading on here, I understand it is better to go with a smaller pump and bigger filter. Can someone recommend a good system? The option with the pool kit is ClearWater 16in. Sand Filter Above Ground Pool System with Hi-Flo Single Speed Pump or ClearWater 19in. Sand Filter Above Ground Pool System with Hi-Flo Single Speed Pump. If I purchase the 25 mil liner, we will not be going with the pool kit though and I can purchase any system.

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it!

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

1. Never heard that ... guess brushing / vacuuming from outside the pool could be a little more work. And of course the bigger the pool the more chlorine you have to add.

2. Probably.

3. I would not recommend the packages you listed. I would recommend a 1HP 2-speed pump and a sand filter that is up around 29"+ diameter. The bigger the pool, the bigger you want the filter to be. Although you have a shorter season, so going a little smaller should be fine.

The SD40 is a 19" diameter sand filter which is less than half the area I was suggesting.
Also, I reiterate, get a 2-speed pump. The combo units do not typically have the sizing like we would recommend. Although I am pretty sure there are some combos with 2-speed pumps somewhere.

I have the Sharkline Reprieve (due to needing the 15') and I have no issues with it. When I bought the pool in March, I asked for the 20 mil liner to save a few bucks. When it was delivered, it felt cheap, no other way to say it, it felt as thin as paper. I was able to upgrade for $75 to the 25 mil and the difference is a very noticeable improvement. Go with the thickest liner you can afford you will not regret it.

I have not purchased a variable speed pump but I have been very happy with the Hayward, 3/4hp pump that I purchased. I had a previous pool so I was able to reuse many of the components on the Sharkline. But, even if I had not been able to do that, I would not have purchased a package, I would have bought the pump, stairs, filter, etc separate so that I could build the system that I wanted.

I did not answer your question about "which system to purchase" but I hope that I have helped.

I can't chime in with pump/filter recommendations but I do wish I had thought of this prior to having my own above ground installed. Know your wind direction! Have your skimmer placed so that the wind blows stuff towards it instead of relying solely on the current to carry it around. (Sorry if this seems obvious to those in the know. :shock:

Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I bought the SHarkline Venture last year from Pool Supply World! Got great service. You will be notified for a drop off date and time. Keep an eye on your tracking info via email. They will make an appointment for drop off. You liner will ship separately and if you go with a designer liner, it will be made first and sent after you receive your pool. Go with the thicker 25mil. I got the Portifino liner and love it!

2 speed is the way to go and get the biggest filter you can. I have a DE that I bought off Craig's List 2 years ago. I'll be upgrading to a 2 speed pump as soon as money allows.

Once you get your pool, it is very important that you go through all the boxes and parts. Check parts for damage, especially the boot cuffs. Some of them have been noted to have the tabs broken off. PSW usually makes good on them but it's better to know if you need to reorder a few BEFORE the install rather than wait til the install to see if they're broken or not and not be able to go on.

Thanks everyone. See Jason. I don't even know how to read the information. Thank goodness for everyone here. I talked to the pool installer. He doesn't want to install a 33' pool. He will do it but isn't happy about it. Would you still recommend the same equipment for a 27' or 28' round. I may switch to the Venture. I was originally interested in the Matrix because it was a hybrid with 54" walls and could come in a 33' round. If he won't install the 33' I will look at others. Does anyone know the average cost difference in yearly maintenance between the two? I still really want the 33' so I may make him unhappy or have to find a different installer.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, the 33' is about 25k and the 28' is about 18k gallons ... so you would use 3/4 the amount of bleach in the smaller pool. Pump time would be about the same or a little less on the smaller pool.

For the 28' range, I would suggest at least 25" sand filter diameter or bigger.

Seems like maybe you should find a different installer if they will not do the pool you want. I have no idea what their heartache is.

Well the installer said that the 27' comes in one piece and the 33' comes in two pieces so it is much harder to install. I understand there will be added cost for the install, but I really want the bigger pool. I have a 2.5 year old and wanted to get the walk in stairs so he had someplace shallow to sit. Of course he will never be alone, but I think it will be better for him. I am also looking at the Verona by Lomart because it comes in 30'. I can't find many reviews on them though. Does anyone have experience with the Lomart brand. My understanding is, they are made by doughboy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.