Electronic Ignition not working

weatherillgrp

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2014
Cortez, CO
Today I discovered the electronic ignition is not activating. I checked to make sure the natural gas line had not been accidentally turned off and it was not. The digital screen says that it is in spark mode but no ignition. Any suggestions. My heater type and model is posted in my signature.

I would take the front cover off, get down to look under the unit and see if when it says SPK, if the pilot did light or not. If it lit and the unit continues to SPK, then I suspect the board. Remove the four screws on the enclosure and inspect board. You can remove the screws from the board to inspect the other side of the board for maybe a small dead animal. Here in FL we get lizards that crawl up in there and short out part of the board.

You can also listen to hear for a small click of the gas valve when it says SPK to see if the gas valve is opening the pilot portion. If you don't hear a click, then it could be the gas valve or the board. If you wanted to check the valve you would have to get a volt meter to see if the board is sending 24V to the valve to open it.

Thanks for the advice. I do not get a click as I normally hear when it ignites. I presume it is the valve or the board. I do have a voltmeter so where would I check on the board to see if it is sending 24v to the valve? I presume that if the board is sending the 24v then the problem is the valve. If not, the board. I presume whichever it will have to be replaced. I call the company that does the HVAC service for my forced air furnace. They do not have parts for Raypac but may come out to tell me what the problem is. In a few weeks it will be warm enough with our pool safety cover that I won't need the heater but I do now. I live in a small community in SW Colorado.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.