Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Chlorine and Cya at night

1. Back To Top    #1

Chlorine and Cya at night

Is it more beneficial to add chlorine and cya later in the day when the sun is not strong?
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Chlorine and Cya at night

Add the CYA whenever you want. Adding the chlorine in the evening allows the full FC level to be in the pool overnight when the sun is not consuming it ... which is a slight advantage, but really does not make a lot of difference.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Just to prove how little the pool store people know , one guy told me not to put cya in till after your chlorine because the cya will hold the chlorine at whatever level it is at the time. Oy !
    36,000 gal IG vinyl. Haywood pump and heater Hayward DE filter blue diamond robot. Hayward Aqua Rite SWG AQR-15

4. Back To Top    #4

Their level of professional knowledge never ceases to amaze
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Thesil View Post
    Just to prove how little the pool store people know , one guy told me not to put cya in till after your chlorine because the cya will hold the chlorine at whatever level it is at the time. Oy !
    OMG!!!! Tell me it isn't so!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow. If only that were true! We could put chlorine and cya in once and it would magically hold forever! Talk about low maintenance. lol
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

7. Back To Top    #7

hahaha
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Their level of professional knowledge never ceases to amaze
    I was told by a pool store employee, when I mentioned I was looking for sideways return jets to improve circulation to the skimmer, that the problem could be simply solved by pointing the returns down, and to the left. The moon's tidal forces are far stronger than the wind which is blowing my debris past the skimmer and to the opposite end of the pool. It's the same reason toilet water flows counterclockwise. He also had a customer who couldn't get rid of his algae no matter what they did, until he directed his returns down, and to the left - at which point it promptly cleared over night...

Have you ceased to be amazed yet?
    22,000 gallon in-ground kidney-ish shape: 1 HP pump and Triton TR60 sand filter. NEW: Dolphin Nautilus robot! :)

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by chjade84 View Post
    I was told by a pool store employee, when I mentioned I was looking for sideways return jets to improve circulation to the skimmer, that the problem could be simply solved by pointing the returns down, and to the left. The moon's tidal forces are far stronger than the wind which is blowing my debris past the skimmer and to the opposite end of the pool. It's the same reason toilet water flows counterclockwise. He also had a customer who couldn't get rid of his algae no matter what they did, until he directed his returns down, and to the left - at which point it promptly cleared over night...

Have you ceased to be amazed yet?
    Wow. Just... wow. And tons of people trust these folks for advice and give them money. I wonder if that employee just makes up the wildest theories possible to see who will believe them.
    Joel - TFP Moderator - Minnesota - **Become a TFP Supporter!** Helpful Links: ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry - SLAM Procedure - Chlorine/CYA Chart
    40x20 Pool: 32K Gallons * Vinyl * Bleach Chlorination * Hayward S270T Sand Filter * Pentair SuperFlo 1 HP * Teledyne/Laars Heater * AquaVac Tigershark * TF-100 w/ SpeedStir
    Isolated Spa - 345 Gallons

10. Back To Top    #10

Guess that would depend on how you're looking at it--standing in the pool or above the return from the deck. left/right , it's all relative.

11. Back To Top    #11

When I was a kid I used to have a fish called an algae eater. He would stick his mouth to the side of the fish tank and eat any algae on it. Would love to tell someone in a pool store that if they went out and bought I dont know, say 23,000 of these things they would never have algae again!

12. Back To Top    #12

Instead you'd have a pool full of fish poo... LOL
    Installed May 2014 - 16' x 48" Summer Escapes Pro Series Pool AG Vinyl (6,000 gal) - Intex 2650 Sand Filter - Christmas, FL

13. Back To Top    #13

How'd you know it was a he?

14. Back To Top    #14

Thats All funny stuff. Jason should have a special topic for all the crazy pool store advice.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's really true. Another guy tried to sell me shock when I asked him where the stabilizer is. I just shook my head and walked away.

15. Back To Top    #15

Well he was kinda partially right. The shock probably did have stabilizer in it.. lol
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by Waldog View Post
    Instead you'd have a pool full of fish poo... LOL
    No worries, the fish would die long before they had a chance to foul up the water! Then you just need to net out the 23,000 fish carcasses.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits